Zenoss 4.2 ifOperStatusChange
aletatone
2012-09-28 16:51:46 UTC
aletatone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/aletatone] created the discussion

"Zenoss 4.2 ifOperStatusChange"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68783#68783

Hi All,

i saw Zenoss 4.2 has monitorng status interface enabled by default via SNMP.
I havan't understood why it doesn't raise the event when the operational status of one interface
goes down (changing from up to down), even if I see it the operetional status of the interface
becaming "down" in the interface properties zenoss page.

Any Idea?

Thanks
Alex

nilie
2012-09-28 18:30:18 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 ifOperStatusChange"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68766#68766

Short answer is because there is no threshold defined on this datapoint. However since the SNMP interface status is updated every 5 minutes when the device is being polled, it is a much better idea to use syslog or SNMP traps to capture the exact moment when the interface changes status. Of course there is nothing stopping you from defining a threshold for the interface status.

aletatone
2012-10-01 07:13:53 UTC
aletatone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/aletatone] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 ifOperStatusChange"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68790#68790

I know that syslog is the better way to monitor interface status, but now we want to test SNMP check
as well, because we see that it has been implemented by default on Zenoss 4.2.
As you can see the threshold is defined, but no event is raised when one interface goes down.
Maybe I'm forgetting something somewhere.

Any Idea?
Thanks
Alex

jplouis
2012-10-01 20:30:01 UTC
jplouis [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jplouis] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 ifOperStatusChange"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68818#68818

The ValueChangeThreshold as defined will only send an INFO event any time a value changes. The threshold does not send clears.

Check out the transform on the /Status/Perf event class.  The default transform for this event changes the status on the component and then drops the event.  You can modify the transform to keep the event and set the severity to anything you want.

aletatone
2012-10-02 08:49:01 UTC
aletatone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/aletatone] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 ifOperStatusChange"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68831#68831

thanks a lot...
the transform was the problem.

Ale

Ryan Matte
2012-10-12 10:28:16 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 ifOperStatusChange"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69096#69096

You may be interested in this...

http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2494 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2494

The info there is from both Chet Luther and myself.  It explains how to actively poll devices for ifOperStatus and ifLastChange each cycle and generate alerts based on the polling.  I've been using this for years and I've found it to be by far the most reliable method for determining interface status on any SNMP enabled device.