No IP address for each switch port
Matthew Batts
2012-03-06 13:34:07 UTC
Matthew Batts [http://community.zenoss.org/people/confuzzled1234] created the discussion

"No IP address for each switch port"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64967#64967

Hi there,

I'm new to Zenoss and we have just set up an instance up using the VMImage provided and reporting using SNMP monitoring to all our switches across 3 sites.
What im finding slighlty frustrating is the fact I can't get IP addresses shown for each port. At the moment I get the attached image. What is it im missing to get the IP addresses through? Is there a way to show the hostnames as well as the IP in Zenoss without having to run a NBSTAT? I presume im missing a plugin somewhere?

I have the switches setup in Spiceworks and it all works well so I know the SNMP community is all correct and has the correct permissions.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Matt

nilie
2012-03-06 15:47:15 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: No IP address for each switch port"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64978#64978

Zenoss is obtaining all the information from your switch using SNMP requests. Since your switch seems to be a layer 2 only, there are no IP addresses configured to its ports (you can check this by simply looking at the switch running configuration). More than that, the switch is unaware of the IP addresses of the hosts attached to its ports.
NBTSTAT is a Windows command so Zenoss has no way it can use it, however if I am allowed to guess, you would like to see the names and IP addresses of the hosts attached to each port of your switch and Zenoss can not do this.