how to monitor Gigabit NIC
Nikos nikos
2012-03-07 12:34:40 UTC
Nikos nikos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kratos2004] created the discussion

"how to monitor Gigabit NIC"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65028#65028

I am new to Zenoss I have installed 3.2.1 that works fine, the only problem I have is that when I monitor gigabit interfaces graphs doesn't depict the real BW but 100Mb and my graphs as you can see have gaps.
Could you please help me
Thank you

Nikos nikos
2012-03-12 14:17:43 UTC
Nikos nikos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kratos2004] created the discussion

"Re: how to monitor Gigabit NIC"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65118#65118

any help?

Shane Scott
2012-03-12 14:56:32 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: how to monitor Gigabit NIC"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65120#65120

Nikos:

Have you remodeled the device? Are the templates stock or modified? What type of interface? Often virtual interfaces (vlan, port channel, ether bundles, etc) can report incorrect values. Virtual interfaces on most net-snmp implementations report 100 megabit by default instead of the true capacity of the virtual interface. Optionally you can correct the device by updating it's code where applicable. I think in the case of net-snmp you can manually override the reported speed on a case basis in the config, but I can't recall for sure. Consult the oracle.

For ZenOSS work arounds you can set the speed of the interface manually then lock the interface from updates. This will ensure ZenOSS doesn't update the speed of the interface with the incorrectly reported value.

As the zenoss user, zendmd
d=dmd.Devices.findDevice('yourDevice')
    if i.id =="problemInterfaceName": break
i.id
If I.id returns the right interface then
i.speed = {newSpeedInBits}
Commit()
Where {newSpeedInBits} is the new speed represented in bits an an Int.

Best,
--Shane