Why does my 4GB memory discover more than 250 devices?
r c
2012-03-01 05:55:10 UTC
r c [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raelanne] created the discussion

"Why does my 4GB memory discover more than 250 devices?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64866#64866

I am using Zenoss 3.0 and i have a 4gb memory CPU, it says on the manual that only 250 devices could be monitored with that memory, why can i discover more than 250? does it mean that i could discover any limit of devices but could only monitor 250?thanks

2012-03-01 13:20:20 UTC

"Re: Why does my 4GB memory discover more than 250 devices?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64878#64878

Zenoss core doesn't have arbitrary limitations that would stop you at exactly 250 devices on any hardware. The guides are recommended resources for a load, but you can put on any number of devices. It's just that at some amount of devices, the install will bog down and not work well. One thing to remember is that the actual number of data points monitored and how you monitor them matter more than the number of devices.

4GB RAM can probably handle 1000 devices if all you're doing is ping checks (in the /Ping device class).

On the other hand, if you're doing command based nagios plugins or custom scripts, plus WMI and MySQL and other zenpacks on every device, you might max out at 100 devices.

So the numbers are a guideline, not a hard limit.