device status shows "Up" when device is actually powered off or even unplugged
Rich Brewer
2012-09-08 00:27:34 UTC
Rich Brewer [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rbrewer101] created the discussion

"device status shows "Up" when device is actually powered off or even unplugged"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68458#68458

Using:
Zenoss 3.2.1
Ubuntu 10.04

Problem:
My zenoss install lists many devices that, even though they are no longer powered on or are even in physical storage, they still show device status "Up". Note that none of these devices have any presence on my network. They're all either in storage or never even had a network card. They were only entered for asset management tracking (not active monitoring).

Here's an example device details page.

More info:
Zenping and Zenstatus daemons have been restarted.
ZPinfMonitorIgnore is False.

What am I doing wrong?

dhopp
2012-09-08 00:52:49 UTC
dhopp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dhopp] created the discussion

"Re: device status shows "Up" when device is actually powered off or even unplugged"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68460#68460

That device production state is set to Decommissioned which means Zenoss isn't actively monitoring it.  Since it doesn't have an active /Status/Ping event it shows that device is up.  Since it is decommissioned Zenoss won't try to ping it to see that it is infact down.

--Dennis

Rich Brewer
2012-09-10 23:19:24 UTC
Rich Brewer [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rbrewer101] created the discussion

"Re: device status shows "Up" when device is actually powered off or even unplugged"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68490#68490

Thanks Dennis.

Even "Production" devices give status "Up" when they are clearly unpingable, as in the case of the digital phone below. Again, this was entered for asset management only, not monitoring (since it doesn't even reside on an IP network), yet Zenoss shows it "Up." I'm confused. What configuration or setting does zenoss require in order to properly show status "Down" when a device is unpingable?

P.S. As you can see this device also shows four TCP services up too, yet the device is a digital phone - not even reachable on my TCP/IP network... Clearly, I'm doing something wrong here. Any further advice you can offer?

dhopp
2012-09-13 21:41:09 UTC
dhopp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dhopp] created the discussion

"Re: device status shows "Up" when device is actually powered off or even unplugged"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68563#68563

In this screen shot the device doesn't have a manage IP so it's possible zenoss still isn't trying to monitor it.  Are there any debug events on the device (just click the events on the left hand side)

Also login to the zenoss server and become the zenoss user and try to run:

zenping run now -v10 -d \-ext112 (you might have to try "-ext112" as the hyphen in your name may be causing problems)

But why would you want it to show it as down?  If there isn't an active /Status/Ping event it won't show it down.  If there is an active /Status/Ping event it will show up in the Event Console which is just going to fill it with not any reliable data.

--Dennis

Rich Brewer
2012-09-17 17:29:51 UTC