Zenoss 4.2.4 fresh install not showing software inventory
JWBoerma
2013-08-14 13:18:45 UTC
JWBoerma [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JWBoerma] created the discussion

"Zenoss 4.2.4 fresh install not showing software inventory"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74368#74368

Having done a fresh install of Zenoss 4.2.4 on CentOS 6.4 twice, none of the servers I modeled, have a software inventory;
meaning the tag in the leftpane is completely missing.
I can add HRSWInstalledMap to my modeler Plugins, but a software inventory is not to be found.

I can't find anything about this in the documentation (that states a software inventory should be present) or in the forum about this.

Am I missing anything, or is this intentional and did I miss an announcement?

Any help is appreciated

JWBoerma

Milán Dávid
2013-08-23 07:23:51 UTC
Milán Dávid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/freesoul] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 fresh install not showing software inventory"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74488#74488

I have the same problem whit the virtual machine version.

Do you have any progress?solution?

JWBoerma
2013-08-23 09:20:09 UTC
JWBoerma [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JWBoerma] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 fresh install not showing software inventory"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74475#74475

No answer at this point.

Just today I saw the requirement of Python 2.7 for ZenOss 4.2.4 and as CentOS uses python 2.6.6 (for YUM), I am trying to figure out how to get the other version active for ZenOss as I cannot replace python with the higher version.

if anyone has help on that, it would be helpfull.

on the other hand, it might not be of use anyway, but I'm trying in the limited time I have

omeganon
2013-08-23 20:14:23 UTC
omeganon [http://community.zenoss.org/people/omeganon] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 fresh install not showing software inventory"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74477#74477

What is your target OS? Can you see the data via snmpwalk?

Not all snmp agents expose HRSWInstalledMap. I'm told RHEL does by default but others likely do not without installation/configuration of SNMP on the target systems.

JWBoerma
2013-08-26 15:55:17 UTC
JWBoerma [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JWBoerma] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 fresh install not showing software inventory"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74494#74494

It has nothing to do with the target OS;

when I select a server(device), there is no option to click on  *software*    in the right pane of the screen
I have HRSWinstalled active on all servers, even though some OS's won't answer to that.
Something like this is what I get:

jcurry
2013-09-03 11:41:26 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 fresh install not showing software inventory"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74554#74554

Good catch!  I think you are correct.  As omegamon says, many agents don't expose the hrSWInstalled stuff but you should see the Software left-hand menu - even if it has nothing in it.

Check whether you can get data with
snmpwalk -v 1 -c public <your device> hrSWInstalled

substituting for <your device> and changing snmp version and community as appropriate.

If you get answers, then you should be able to get software.

You can run the modeler explicitly for software installed with
zenmodeler run -v 10 -d <your device>  --collect HRSWInstalledMap

You should see data in the verbose output.

To check whether the modeling has actually worked, try using the ZMI (Zope Management Interface), by pointing your prowser at

http:// http://<your zenoss>:8080/zport/dmd/manage

Drill down the servers into the instance of the device that you have modelled.  Drill into os. Drill into software.

You should see entries for the installed software.

I think that proves the bug is in the software that displays information.

I have created a ticket for this - http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-8090 http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-8090

Cheers,
Jane

JWBoerma
2013-09-03 13:00:33 UTC
JWBoerma [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JWBoerma] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 fresh install not showing software inventory"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74543#74543

Jane,

thanks for the reply

I dug into the path you told me and I can confirm, that the software lists are available for the servers, where HRSWInstalledMap delivers a software list.

I hadn't mentioned it before, but I also mailed this to mailto:***@zenoss.com ***@zenoss.com , they created a ticket
| Ticket #: | 16052-17126 - Zenoss core 4.2.4 does not show software inventory |
but since I'm a core user, I cannot get access to it, nor did I get any responses to it.

I hope something comes out of the bugreport

thx

JW

jcurry
2013-09-03 13:32:47 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 fresh install not showing software inventory"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74558#74558

I am also a Core user.  You should be able to register on the Zenoss JIRA to submit bugs - see this entry on the wiki - http://wiki.zenoss.org/Bug_FAQ http://wiki.zenoss.org/Bug_FAQ .

Couldn't find your bug ref on JIRA - looks like an enterprise-style reference to me.

I have also had someone else confirm this problem on 4.2.4 this morning.

I'll update here if I get any more info.

Cheers,
Jane

jcurry
2013-09-05 10:06:51 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 fresh install not showing software inventory"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74569#74569

The ticket ZEN-8090 now says that "this is  as fixed in SP69 or later.  I recommend picking up SP71."

SP71 appears to be available for use with zenup - http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenUp http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenUp .  Not tried it yet though...

Cheers,
Jane