How can I monitor IBM Power Systems(AIX)
James Smith
2013-02-18 03:53:45 UTC
James Smith [http://community.zenoss.org/people/flyingfish007] created the discussion

"How can I monitor IBM Power Systems(AIX)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71540#71540

I have only found the commercial zenpack(ZenPacks.zenoss.AixMonitor) or the community zenpack(ZenPacks.community.AIX-1.1-py2.6) to monitor the IBM Power Systems(AIX). Are there others ways or solutions to monitor it? Thank you!!

Charles Wilkinson
2013-02-18 09:13:42 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: How can I monitor IBM Power Systems(AIX)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71544#71544

You can setup all the SNMP in AIX and use figures from that.  I'm in the middle of rolling it out at my own company with SNMP Version 3.  Some great and easy stuff to get from that and you can get every error event sent to you as a trap with a couple of entries in the ODM calling a simple script.

What exactly do you want to monitor or capture that the existing options aren't getting?

James Smith
2013-02-18 09:27:35 UTC
James Smith [http://community.zenoss.org/people/flyingfish007] created the discussion

"Re: How can I monitor IBM Power Systems(AIX)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71545#71545

Thank you for your reply. Now, I aim to know the feasibility of pre-research to monitor the IBM Power Systems(AIX). I refer to the link-- http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-3454 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-3454. Is it OK?

Thanks again!

Charles Wilkinson
2013-02-18 09:50:34 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: How can I monitor IBM Power Systems(AIX)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71546#71546

The Link for setting up the SNMP mostly works but adjust for v61 or v71 AIX:
http://forums.cacti.net/about19040.html http://forums.cacti.net/about19040.html

If you want SNMP Version 3 you'll obviously need to set it up fairly differently.

The services are setup to start from rc.tcpip but commented out so uncomment them there and they'll obviously start on boot.

I'm yet to install the snmp community pack but will be doing that tomorrow as part of my testing in enterprise 4.1.1 so I'll reply yere, maybe with screen shots, to let you know what it gets and how it looks compared to the command-line pack we're currently using.  Hopefully I'll get some more useful CPU/Processor values from the SNMP.

Beyond that, lookup LPAR2RRD.  I'm planning to do some customisation in Zenoss based of how thit works.

P.S. if you want to get the events via SNMP traps then setup a couple of ODM entries to call whatever snmp script you desire:

errnotify:
        en_name = "snmptrapn"
        en_persistenceflg = 0
        en_method = "/usr/local/bin/snmp_notify $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9"

errnotify:
        en_name = "snmptrapp"
        en_persistenceflg = 1
        en_method = "/usr/local/bin/snmp_notify $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9"

Those two entries should send any error events (just like what you get in errpt) via an snmp script at /usr/local/bin/snmp_notify.

Here's my own script (but if anyone has suggestions to adjust it I'd love to know as this was just thrown together):
[code]
# Reverse hashed LOG lines for debugging/recording
LOG=/tmp/snmpnotify.log
DATE=`date +%y%m%d%H%M%S`
ERRMSG=/tmp/snmpnotify.msg

# fix error id and set for oid use
ERRIDN=colrm 1 2 $2

echo `date` - SNMP trap sent for $1 $2 $5 >> $LOG

# Create Trap Message seperated by '@'
# Sequence Number
# Error ID
# Error Class
# Error Type
# Alert Flag
# Resource Name
# Resource Type
# Resource Class
# Error Label

echo $1@$ERRIDN@$3@$5@$5@$6@$7@$8@$9 > $ERRMSG
cat $ERRMSG | /usr/bin/xargs /usr/sbin/snmptrap -h 10.20.8.1 -c $ERRIDN -m

[/code]

James Smith
2013-02-18 10:18:12 UTC
James Smith [http://community.zenoss.org/people/flyingfish007] created the discussion

"Re: How can I monitor IBM Power Systems(AIX)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71547#71547

Thank you for the detailed answers!
Now I have no enviroment to config the SNMP for v6.1 AIX. So I can only make theoretical research about the feasibility. Waiting for your reply with some screen shots tomorrow. Further exchanges with you.

Thanks again!!!

Charles Wilkinson
2013-02-19 12:56:00 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: How can I monitor IBM Power Systems(AIX)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71580#71580

Having some issues with it reading the SNMP.

Suspect the community pack might not support SNMP V3.

Investigating further.  Will probably try setting up V2 and see if that works.