User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing
Shane McKinley
2012-02-29 13:06:52 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64848#64848

Version:

| Zenoss (http://www.zenoss.com/) | Zenoss 3.1.0 |
| OS (http://www.tldp.org/) | Linux (i686) 3.1.9 (Linux zenoss 3.1.9-1.4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 27 08:55:10 UTC 2012 (efb5ff4) i686) |
| Zope (http://www.zope.org/) | Zope 2.12.1 |
| Python (http://www.python.org/) | Python 2.6.2 |
| Database (http://www.mysql.com/) | MySQL 5.0.45 (Ver 5.0.45) |
| RRD (http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool) | RRDtool 1.3.9 |
| Twisted (http://twistedmatrix.com/trac) | Twisted 8.1.0 |
| NetSnmp (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/) | NetSnmp 5.4.1 |
| PyNetSnmp (http://www.zenoss.com/) | PyNetSnmp 0.28.14 |
| WMI (http://www.zenoss.com/) | Wmi 1.3.13 |

I can also reproduce this problem by using bin installer for 3.2.1.

OS Versions that produced problem:

openSUSE 12.4
ubuntu server 10.04
ubuntu server 11.10

(kinda redundant since I am using .bin installer and all dependancies included)

Another thing I noticed when I install with the .bin installer the installation hangs at 100%, After Ctrl+C and start it over it finishes.

Screenshots: see attached.

Shane McKinley
2012-02-29 13:08:03 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64849#64849

appendix a:

I 'hijacked' this thread, and this user was also having the issue, was instructed to start a new thread about the problem:

http://community.zenoss.org/thread/16360?tstart=0 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/16360?tstart=0

dpetzel
2012-02-29 22:13:16 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64857#64857

I personally use the RPM installer, but lets see what we can dig up.

1) Assuming the issue persists across different browsers?
2) Sounds like a fresh install. Any reason your staying on 3.1 instead of 3.2.1 (I couldn't find anything to indicate a know issue that has been fixed, just wondering)
3) Based on your other post, I believe you said logging in as "Admin" has no effect
4) For the empy zenpack list, can you run the following while logged in as the zenoss user via ssh "zenpack --list"

Shane McKinley
2012-03-01 00:12:33 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64871#64871

Oh. I failed to mention I also tried the RPM with openSuse 12.x (whatever
the latest verion). Are we sure there isn't something wrong with the
installer. These were both fresh installs.

dpetzel
2012-03-01 00:15:31 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64872#64872

I doubt its the installer (but anything is possible). A lot more people would have likely complained. I can say personally that I've done 3.1 RPM installs on Centos and RHEL and not had the issue. That said, can we circle back and answer the questions above and see where that leads us?

Shane McKinley
2012-03-01 14:20:29 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64879#64879

Answer to questions:

1. Tried in both Firefox (latest version) and Chrome. Same result.
2. I actually reverted back to that version to see if it was in fact a version issue, the issue is also reproducable with 3.2.1.
3. Yes, issue also is reproducable as admin
4. Output for 'zenpack --list' returns no output. Hmmm.....

dpetzel
2012-03-01 14:24:57 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64880#64880

hmmm. So I think #4 is it possible you just dont have any zenpacks installed? I'm pretty sure the button in question is not provided by any packs, but I can't say I have ever installed and not also installed the core pack RPM bundle.

Do you have the ability to do the test on a CentOS box? I don't use any of the distro's you've tested so barring someone that does chiming in, I'm don't have any immediate ideas...

Might also be worth a drop by the IRC channel a little later in the day. I know there are some folks in there on a pretty regular basis that use ubuntu.

Shane McKinley
2012-03-01 14:45:04 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64881#64881

I will try it on CentOS. Any particular version? It looks like the virtual appliance uses 5.4, so unless you tell me different I'll try that.

Shane McKinley
2012-03-01 14:46:35 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64882#64882

Err, it looks like the current version for 5 is 5.7, correction. I am trying that version.

Shane McKinley
2012-03-01 15:44:05 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64884#64884

It is working fine with CentOS 5.7 and native rpm. Oh well, at least I have it on a physical machine and its working right, I prefer to use Ubuntu, but CentOS will do just fine. Thanks for the help.

Shane McKinley
2012-03-01 15:50:20 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64885#64885

Umm, nevermind, there are still no ZenPacks....

dpetzel
2012-03-01 15:51:28 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64886#64886

did you install the zenpack bundle RPM (it installs all the core packs)

Shane McKinley
2012-03-01 16:38:49 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64888#64888

Trying that, but another issue I am having is the stack installers always hang at 100%....I wonder if my firewall or something is corrupting the installer....

Shane McKinley
2012-03-01 16:40:08 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64889#64889

It FINALLY completed...guess I was being to impatient....

Shane McKinley
2012-03-01 16:41:52 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64890#64890

but still no ZenPacks...is there a way to manually install them?

dpetzel
2012-03-02 01:37:57 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64900#64900

Sorry got pulled onto other things. I hit up the IRC channel today and some folks said they were running on ubuntu without this issue. One suggestion was around permissions (IE are you locking things down at all that might be special)

As far as installing zenpacks manually you certainly can. The admin guide covers how to install new zenpacks. Its pretty simple you just download the egg file and as the zenoss user run zenpack --install=eggFile.egg

Shane McKinley
2012-03-02 12:55:08 UTC
Shane McKinley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mckinleysh] created the discussion

"Re: User/Group/Zenpack Add Button Missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64910#64910

Ok, its really strange too because I just did another ubuntu fresh installation and now I have the add users and groups buttons and even ZenPacks button, just no ZenPacks. I'm going to try to pull them over from my virtual appliance and install them manually. Here goes nothing.... :) Thanks for your help. Even if the solution isn't clear, it always helps to have someone with you along the journey...