nagios to zenoss migration questions
Whip Hubley
2012-10-27 16:46:46 UTC
Whip Hubley [http://community.zenoss.org/people/whiphubley] created the discussion

"nagios to zenoss migration questions"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69561#69561

hi there - I am in charge of an oncall support team who have recently switched from nagios to zenoss.

one of the problems we face is that there is no equivalent of "service downtime" in zenoss.

we can acknowledge an alert when it happens - and we can put an entire host into maintenance mode - but we cannot supress a particular check (such as memory usage) for a particular host during a particular time (such as between 2am and 8am).

can anyone please advise if this is possible ?

thanks very much.

2012-10-29 12:03:48 UTC

"Re: nagios to zenoss migration questions"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69584#69584

I'm not aware of a way to supress individual checks easily. You could write event transforms that you copy in at a given time, but that would be pretty clugey, and you have to be careful not to break any existing transforms when writing and then removing the transforms...

Charles Wilkinson
2012-10-29 15:21:21 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: nagios to zenoss migration questions"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69586#69586

If you're only issue is a notification which triggers on the event then you can create a schedule for your notification (which is really just a maintenance window applied to the notification).  Could be a pain if you have to create an entire new notification for just this service and exclude it from the generic trigger/notification pair.

Another method might be to drop it from Production to Pre-Production or a custom Production State instead of Maintence with your maintenance window which you can use to filter out evnets based on that Production State.  Again, this presumes you only care about the events and doesn't necessarily stop the monitoring.

Both clugy methods as well and another one would be a crontab command which fires a script to disable or change your threshold (presuming its memory usage) at the beginning and end of the time period.

I wonder how hard it would be for Zenoss to configure maintenance windows to work with just template thresholds or data points.