Zenoss Core 4.2.0 snmpwalk problem.
RBClr
2012-12-14 18:19:37 UTC
RBClr [http://community.zenoss.org/people/RBClr] created the discussion

"Zenoss Core 4.2.0 snmpwalk problem."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70558#70558

I paged through some of the discussions but didn't see one that seemed to apply.

OS: CentOS 6.3 (fresh install)
Zenoss: 4.2.0 (fresh install)

SNMP configured

I can successfully use the snmpwalk command on the local system as the zenoss user and query the system data. It returns what I would expect. When I run the bundled snmpwalk command on the zenoss server (localhost, 127.0.0.1) I get the SNMP Description and then nothing else. This also happens on other devices. The model of the device succeeds, I see file systems, and device information but I can't snmpwalk with the built in command.

If I walk the entire device tree it spits out everything successfully. Is the syntax off with specifying just system? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

jcurry
2012-12-17 12:33:52 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Core 4.2.0 snmpwalk problem."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70574#70574

You will probably have different entries in your snmpd.conf file for localhost and the external address of your system.  Is that what is getting in the way?  Check snmpd.conf and take careful note of the snmpwalk command that is run.

I usually change the name/address of my Zenoss server to the external DNS name / address.

Cheers,
Jane

RBClr
2012-12-17 15:45:08 UTC
RBClr [http://community.zenoss.org/people/RBClr] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Core 4.2.0 snmpwalk problem."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70577#70577

Thanks for your response. I do have different entries for localhost and my network. I am able to snmpwalk from the linux command line as the zenoss user using the same command as used within zenoss. The command in zenoss is: snmpwalk -v2c -cpublic 127.0.0.1:161 system

If I remove the "system" variable in command in zenoss I get everything back. Not sure why it doesn't like the "system" variable.

jcurry
2012-12-17 17:12:07 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Core 4.2.0 snmpwalk problem."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70578#70578

Ahh - I think I know what you are saying now and I have seen similar things with several of the commands off the Command icon.  I think this is a bug in the GUI somewhere.  Sometimes you see all the ouput; sometimes you don't.  I have also seen it with the ping and traceroute commands - sometimes you don't see all the output.

I don't think it is you - and it sounds like you are modeling and monitoring the system successfully.

My understanding is that there should be a Zenoss 4.2.1 coming "real soon now" so hopefully they will have fixed this one.

Cheers,
Jane

RBClr
2012-12-17 20:16:59 UTC
RBClr [http://community.zenoss.org/people/RBClr] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Core 4.2.0 snmpwalk problem."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70568#70568

Ahhh, ok. Thanks, look forward to 4.2.1.