Why does mysqld show up as /bin/sh ?
brockp
2011-11-11 03:03:16 UTC
brockp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/brockp] created the discussion

"Why does mysqld show up as /bin/sh ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62577#62577

I have been trying to debug a process monitoring issue involving mysql, I have two mysql servers on a single host, the stock one and the zenoss one.

ps aux | grep mysqld
mysql     1070  0.1  0.5 848600 11732 ?        Ssl  10:24   0:52 /usr/sbin/mysqld
root     15432  0.0  0.0   4220   620 pts/0    S    20:50   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/local/zenoss/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/usr/local/zenoss/mysql/my.cnf --port=3307 --socket=/usr/local/zenoss/mysql/tmp/mysql.sock --old-passwords --datadir=/usr/local/zenoss/mysql/data --log-error=/usr/local/zenoss/mysql/data/mysqld.log --pid-file=/usr/local/zenoss/mysql/data/myth.pid --lower-case-table-names=1 --default-table-type=InnoDB
mysql    15491  0.1  1.2 196468 25552 pts/0    Sl   20:50   0:04 /usr/local/zenoss/mysql/bin/mysqld.bin --defaults-file=/usr/local/zenoss/mysql/my.cnf --basedir=/usr/local/zenoss/mysql --datadir=/usr/local/zenoss/mysql/data --user=mysql --pid-file=/usr/local/zenoss/mysql/data/myth.pid --skip-external-locking --port=3307 --socket=/usr/local/zenoss/mysql/tmp/mysql.sock --old-passwords --lower-case-table-names=1 --default-table-type=InnoDB

If I use a regex of mysqld,  the system finds the processes, but one shows up as '/bin/sh', if I set 'ignore parameters' to no, I see that /bin/sh is pid 15432, which correct that comand line does match the regex, but shouldn't that be the 'parameter' that is being ignored?  If this is expected showing /bin/sh as monitored by mysqld is difficult to parse if I have more things running spawned by /bin/sh I get a full list of processes such as the above all being identifed by /bin/sh

Any thoughts would be great.

2011-11-11 13:20:44 UTC

"Re: Why does mysqld show up as /bin/sh ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62560#62560

If you ingore parameters, it ignores everything after the first space. The program you're running minus all arguments in your second example *is* /bin/sh ...

brockp
2011-11-11 15:19:28 UTC
brockp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/brockp] created the discussion

"Re: Why does mysqld show up as /bin/sh ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62593#62593

That is how I read it listing of a process as /bin/sh

What I didn't expect was that a regex of 'mysqld' was going to match to a process where ignore parameters is true, where mysqld is in the parameters.

Is that expected behavior?
It didn't work that way in 3.0.x, so wondering if this is a regessions or not.

Thanks

dpetzel
2011-11-11 15:26:36 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Why does mysqld show up as /bin/sh ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62583#62583

I think this is a bug. I saw something similar with memcache. I am seeing it on 3.1 and 3.2.1. I have my pattern defined as "memcached" with Ignore Parameters = True.

This picks up the memcached daemon as you would expect, however we have a java application (java.exe) in which we is passed an argument -Dmemcached.hostList. And despite having ignore parameters=true we have a ton of java.exe instances in  the memcached process class

I didnt pay superclose attention to when it started but I *feel* like this didnt happen in 3.0.3

brockp
2011-11-11 15:34:44 UTC
brockp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/brockp] created the discussion

"Re: Why does mysqld show up as /bin/sh ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62594#62594

My case deffinitly did not start happening until 3.2 came out, I was hopeing it was fixed in 3.2.1 but it wasn't the case.

Do the devs take bugs from the forums?  Or do we have to file them?  Or can bugs only be filed by customers with support?

dpetzel
2011-11-11 15:40:28 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Why does mysqld show up as /bin/sh ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62584#62584

Looks like a similar bug might already exist: http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/ticket/6480 http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/ticket/6480

I think anyone can open a bug, however I say that without ever having opened one myself. I think there is a doc somewhere about opening one though.

2011-11-11 15:41:11 UTC

"Re: Why does mysqld show up as /bin/sh ?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62595#62595

You can submit bugs - but not in the forums. See:
http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/wiki/HowToAddTicket http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/wiki/HowToAddTicket