Graph Producing Wrong Units (Possibly)
David Welsh
2011-10-26 20:51:42 UTC
David Welsh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Welsh] created the discussion

"Graph Producing Wrong Units (Possibly)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62208#62208

Hey,

Currently monitoring several solaris servers over SNMP v2c and it's working properly with one exception, for our graphs that show Memory Available Real and Memory Available Swap they are showing the units in mb instead of gb. (I think)

Here is one of the graphs:
Running the individual snmpwalk command to get the memAvailReal returns:

     UCD-SNMP-MIB::memAvailReal.0 = INTEGER: 3067096

The result, is in kb and then looks to be converted to gb but the graph shows it as a M which I assumed to be mb.

So is the graph producing the wrong units or is my assumption of what M stands for wrong?

Thanks

dpetzel
2011-10-26 23:12:29 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Graph Producing Wrong Units (Possibly)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62194#62194

Uppercase M is indeed mega: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix

Can you look at the template, specifically the graph definition and see if there is an RPN applied? Perhaps the RPN is defined causing one to many divisions?

David Welsh
2011-10-27 15:48:54 UTC
David Welsh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Welsh] created the discussion

"Re: Graph Producing Wrong Units (Possibly)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62226#62226

For memAvailReal, under Alias the ID / Formula has: memoryAvailable__bytes and 1024,*

For memAvailSwap there is nothing under ID/Formula.

dpetzel
2011-10-27 17:18:15 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Graph Producing Wrong Units (Possibly)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62238#62238

These under the data point, not the graph correct?
I don't have any solaris boxes,but I do have the stock template, and I have the same alias definitoin on the datapoint.

In the stock template I have the graph shows real and swap as "Memory Utilization" (a percentage). Is this a custom graph you created? If so what is the RPN you have applied on memAvailReal. Can you see what (if any) the RPN on the *GRAPH POINT* in your graph defintion is?

David Welsh
2011-10-27 17:36:24 UTC
David Welsh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Welsh] created the discussion

"Re: Graph Producing Wrong Units (Possibly)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62228#62228

Those values were lised above under the Data Points by Data Source.

I thought they were stock definitions, but just found out they were weren't from a co-worker.

Under the graph points for each graph they have no values set for their RPN. Which would be the issue then correct?

And then to solve the issue would be to place 1024,* in as the RPN value to change it from MB to GB?

dpetzel
2011-10-27 17:42:09 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Graph Producing Wrong Units (Possibly)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62239#62239

I guess it depends.. If you Multiply you rely on auto-scaling. If you divide you FORCE it to be a set scale.

honestly I'm not sure I understand the reason for the 1024,* in the alias. I would have expected that the value returned from the SNMP OID was already bytes, so multipynig that by 1024 and still calling it bytes baffles me a little. You could also try to graph the actual datapoint by name, rather than alias.

It feels more natural to divide to me
3067096 = Bytes
3067096 / 1024 = MegaBytes
3067096 / 1048576 = GigaBytes

David Welsh
2011-10-27 18:06:44 UTC
David Welsh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Welsh] created the discussion

"Re: Graph Producing Wrong Units (Possibly)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62229#62229

The only thing that makes sense number wise is for the SNMP OID to return in kb and not bytes, because if you converted that number into gb then we would of gotten like 0.00286 gb of memAvailReal. And currently our server has 31.9gb of memory, and its current % used is 94% which would give ~2 gb unused.

Also, only the memAvailReal had the alias in it, yet both graphs still had the same scale and everything leading me to believe that both graphs were using the actual datapoint by name instead of one using the alias and the other using the actualy datapoint name.

But I agree with the division thought, it does feel more natural to divide the answer.

dpetzel
2011-10-27 18:19:03 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Graph Producing Wrong Units (Possibly)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62240#62240

DOH! kb of course. sometimes the obvious is to elusive... lol I need some coffee or something..

Well in any event, glad you got it squared away.