Is Rpath appliance agent no longer included in Zenoss 3.2 virtual appliance?
bcester
2011-10-19 17:22:31 UTC
bcester [http://community.zenoss.org/people/bcester] created the discussion

"Is Rpath appliance agent no longer included in Zenoss 3.2 virtual appliance?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/61997#61997

In the previous versions of Zenoss virtual appliances (2.0-2.5) i used the Rpath appliance agent to manage the static IP assignment for Zenoss, DNS settings, network time, Zenoss updates, and perform Zenoss backups.  In the previos versions of Zenoss virtual appliances the url for the Rpath appliance ( https://ip:8003/rAA https://ip:8003/rAA ) was displayed in the in the command line console in VMPlayer or VMWare Workstation allong with the url for the Zenoss management interface.  I lit off the 3.2 Zenoss virtual appliance today (new download not an upgrade)  via VMWare Workstation and noticed the url was not listed for the Rpath appliance. I tried using the previous format ( https://ip:8003/rAA https://ip:8003/rAA) and was not able to connect to the appliance.  I rebooted the virtual appliance several times, watched the boot process from the console, and did not see a service for Rpath listed.  I am aware I can manage some of these task from the command line and others from the management console, but i did appreciate the centrallized management from the Rpath agent.  If Rpath is no longer available, is there another managment interface that has taken its place?

Thank in advance
Bret

2011-10-19 17:58:41 UTC

"Re: Is Rpath appliance agent no longer included in Zenoss 3.2 virtual appliance?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/61999#61999

The 3.x line of appliances aren't based on rpath linux so don't ahve the agent. It uses CENTOS, so you'd use whatever methods in CENTOS you like...

Information Technology Area Supervisor

bcester
2011-10-19 18:27:31 UTC
bcester [http://community.zenoss.org/people/bcester] created the discussion

"Re: Is Rpath appliance agent no longer included in Zenoss 3.2 virtual appliance?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62000#62000

Thanks for your reply James.  Unfortunately for me, I have little to no experience with CENTOS, so the methods "I may like" as you put it, at this time are undiscovered. Additionally, If i am reading the tea leaves correctly, there is no longer a central point of management for the tasks I listed above, therefore i will have to manage these tasks individually with various methods?

2011-10-19 18:31:35 UTC

"Re: Is Rpath appliance agent no longer included in Zenoss 3.2 virtual appliance?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62001#62001

Yes, you would use the standard OS tools to manage whatever you need to do. There isn't a centralized console for this that I know of.

Information Technology Area Supervisor