Error processing transform/mapping on Event Class /Status/Perf
Larry Mills
2013-08-26 17:40:12 UTC
Larry Mills [http://community.zenoss.org/people/lmills] created the discussion

"Error processing transform/mapping on Event Class /Status/Perf"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74495#74495

I recently upgraded from Zenoss Core 3.2.1 to 4.2.4.  The migration went smoothly - with one exception:  now events with summary "Error processing transform/mapping on Event Class /Status/Perf" are being generated every time zenmodeler runs on a device with operational Ethernet interfaces.  The events are logged against "localhost", with the exception message "AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'operStatus'".

The transform causing the error was introduced in 4.2 on the ethernetCsmacd_64 monitoring template and is triggered by a ValueChange threshold as described in Jane Curry's excellent write-up at: http://zenoss.hosted.jivesoftware.com/message/73268?tstart=0 http://zenoss.hosted.jivesoftware.com/message/73268?tstart=0

In my installation, I only have devices in the /Device/Server/Liunx class that use that template.  Each time a server is modeled, either manually or periodically, an errored event is generated for each operational interface, (normally eth0 and lo interfaces).

Based on the error message, I thought that perhaps some component attribute of the Ethernet interfaces was not migrated properly, but even after deleting and re-creating both the component and the device itself, the error persists.

Any advice on how to fix this spurious error would be appreciated!

Larry

P.S.  I collected a debug trace of an error event from Zeneventd (attached), but my Python fu is very weak and I couldn't make much out of it.

jcurry
2013-09-03 10:44:06 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Error processing transform/mapping on Event Class /Status/Perf"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74552#74552

I have just tried this on my 4.2.4 rig and don't see the event transform winges.

The message in the log is suggesting that it thinks "component" is a string whereas it should be a link to the interface object.  If you look at the details of the event, is the component field a link which you can follow??  Mine is.

Cheers,
Jane

Larry Mills
2013-09-06 19:16:43 UTC
Larry Mills [http://community.zenoss.org/people/lmills] created the discussion

"Re: Error processing transform/mapping on Event Class /Status/Perf"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74583#74583

Jane,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, in my case the component field is not a link, it simply has "/Status/Perf" in text.  I suppose that's the root of the problem, the event is somehow not being correctly assoicated with the interface.

My work-around has been to disable the threshold on the ethernetCsmacd/ethernetCsmacd_64 templates, which eliminates the event trigger. It would be nice to find the root cause, but it looks like the problem is limited to my deployment.

Larry

Larry Mills
2013-09-13 15:43:18 UTC
Larry Mills [http://community.zenoss.org/people/lmills] created the discussion

"Re: Error processing transform/mapping on Event Class /Status/Perf"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74652#74652

Found the root cause on this issue I believe.   While the installation was still on 3.2, most of my /Device/Server/Linux devices had changed IP subnets.  Once I examined the Infrastructure->Networks view, I noticed that all my old device IP's and their associated subnets were still listed, with the details set to "No Device" and "No Interface".

I deleted all the old IP address entries (none of which were visibly associated with an interface) and the problem disappeared.  Wish I had checked the network view earlier, but it's of limited use in my case and I rarely look at it.

Even though the transform error is now resolved, I left the threshold on the Ethernet monitoring templates disabled, as the resulting thousands of daily "info" events triggered by it seemed to be useless churn.