Emails coming with device IP, not with a name
Milos Vujkovic
2012-01-11 11:17:31 UTC
Milos Vujkovic [http://community.zenoss.org/people/fearless.rabbit] created the discussion

"Emails coming with device IP, not with a name"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63669#63669

Hello everyone,

I have an anoying problem with Zenoss Core 3.0. I have email notifications configured and working, at least for majority of devices. Almost all devices are properly named in these emails by their device name. However, some of them arrive as IP addresses! I have no idea why this might be the case, since they all have names configured, are in the same classes as the rest, and configured in the same manner.

I tried manually renaming them, but it didnt help.

Any ideas fellas?

Thanks

2012-01-11 13:26:32 UTC

"Re: Emails coming with device IP, not with a name"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63674#63674

I think you might have to delete the device and re-add with the FQDN or else munge with the zope database. The forums have posts about this...

Milos Vujkovic
2012-01-11 13:31:25 UTC
Milos Vujkovic [http://community.zenoss.org/people/fearless.rabbit] created the discussion

"Re: Emails coming with device IP, not with a name"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63677#63677

Indeed, I played a little bit in the meantime, the thing is HOW you add the device initially. These were devices outside the domain (APs, non-domain workstations..), and I added them by IP address in /Ping class. After I deleted them, added static DNS pointers in appropriate zone, and readded them using domain name, it started showing the names.

Thank you anyway, I appreciate your correct and quick reply!

Milos Vujkovic
2012-01-11 13:32:12 UTC
Milos Vujkovic [http://community.zenoss.org/people/fearless.rabbit] created the discussion

"Re: Emails coming with device IP, not with a name"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63678#63678

P.S. Same topic, for reference:

http://community.zenoss.org/message/50892#50892#50892 http://community.zenoss.org/message/50892#50892