Zenoss alert at 4:00 AM
rbasukala
2012-09-19 12:29:46 UTC
rbasukala [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rbasukala] created the discussion

"Zenoss alert at 4:00 AM"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68646#68646

Hi guys,

I am getting alerts for some of linux servers from 4:00AM - 4:05AM in the morning, it eventually cleared up within couple of minutes or next cycle.

The email meessage in the alert says "Unable to read processes on device abc.xyz.edu; Timeout on device"

Anybody has experienced this problem before? Please help me to find out what exactly is happening? I was thinking about it must be the daily cron job running on those servers at the same time SNMP is trying to collect information, but not sure and doesn't make sense.

Thanks in advance,
-R

kb8u
2012-09-20 20:46:25 UTC
kb8u [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kb8u] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss alert at 4:00 AM"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68677#68677

We have also seen this on busy servers.  I would also like to know if there is a solution.  We haven't been brave enough to try nice -19 snmpd because of fear of slowing down more important tasks.

Pete Smith
2012-09-28 10:43:02 UTC
Pete Smith [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pete.realise] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss alert at 4:00 AM"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68762#68762

Default logrotate happens at 0400. On a busy server it may become unreponsive for a few seconds/minutes.

Sequence your log rotations over a wider period. :-)

rbasukala
2012-09-28 12:09:37 UTC
rbasukala [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rbasukala] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss alert at 4:00 AM"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68777#68777

Thanks Pete!
That is what I thought about before, but CPU and other resources remain idle at most of the time. The servers for which I am getting alerts are not that heavily used servers either. I hade RHEL6 installed on those servers. It doesn't make any sense at all.

-R