Zenoss 3.1.x->4.2.0 Migration Problem
Mouhammed Soueidane
2013-01-07 21:11:05 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Zenoss 3.1.x->4.2.0 Migration Problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70859#70859

Hi everyone,
I'm having a hard time migrating to Zenoss 4.2.0. I'm getting the following exception when trying to start the Zenoss service for the first time after the upgrade process:

WARNING:zen.migrate:Unable to index /zport/dmd/JobManager/jobs/DeviceCreationJobStatus_13e37941-071b-4ab6-80e1-e01329e02636/DeviceCreationJob_13e37941-071b-4ab6-80e1-e01329e02636
WARNING:zen.migrate:Recovering
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/zenmigrate.py", line 19, in <module>
    main()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/zenmigrate.py", line 16, in main
    m.main()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 424, in main
    self.cutover()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 311, in cutover
    self.migrate()
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/Migrate.py", line 287, in migrate
    m.cutover(self.dmd)
  File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/migrate/rebuildPathIndex.py", line 43, in cutover
    zport.global_catalog.catalog_object(x.getObject(),x.getPath(),
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/Products/ZCatalog/CatalogBrains.py", line 102, in getObject
    return parent.restrictedTraverse(path[-1])
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'restrictedTraverse'

I have already opened a discussion with this problem and gave a solution to it: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70532#70532 http://community.zenoss.org/message/70532#70532

My solution this time around did not serve me well though as I'm still getting the exception above:

I obviously have some corrupt data that I need to fix. Can anyone please help me on this?

Thanks.

Andrew Kirch
2013-01-07 21:18:46 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.1.x->4.2.0 Migration Problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70861#70861

What steps did you take to migrate, did you follow the migration guide here: http://wiki.zenoss.org/Upgrading_Zenoss http://wiki.zenoss.org/Upgrading_Zenoss

I would guess you had some zodb issues that weren't resolved before migration.

Mouhammed Soueidane
2013-01-07 21:44:42 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.1.x->4.2.0 Migration Problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70864#70864

http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch Andrew Kirch, thanks for the quick response.
I got the zenfixit.py script but I couldn't run it successfully.
Running the script as the Zenoss user would produce this exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./zenfixit.py", line 2, in <module>
    import Globals
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/Globals/__init__.py", line 74, in <module>
    from App.ProductContext import ProductContext
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/App/ProductContext.py", line 23, in <module>
    from AccessControl.Permission import registerPermissions
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/AccessControl/__init__.py", line 16, in <module>
    from AccessControl.Implementation import setImplementation
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/AccessControl/Implementation.py", line 101, in <module>
    setImplementation("C")
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/AccessControl/Implementation.py", line 56, in setImplementation
    from AccessControl import ImplPython as impl
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/AccessControl/ImplPython.py", line 32, in <module>
    from cAccessControl import _what_not_even_god_should_do
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/AccessControl/SimpleObjectPolicies.py", line 82, in <module>
    from DocumentTemplate.DT_Util import TemplateDict
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/DocumentTemplate/__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
    from DocumentTemplate.DT_String import String, File
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/DocumentTemplate/DT_String.py", line 19, in <module>
    from DocumentTemplate.DT_Util import ParseError, InstanceDict
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/DocumentTemplate/DT_Util.py", line 26, in <module>
    from RestrictedPython.Guards import safe_builtins
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/RestrictedPython/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
    from SelectCompiler import *
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python/RestrictedPython/SelectCompiler.py", line 19, in <module>
    import compiler
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python2.6/compiler/__init__.py", line 29, in <module>
    from compiler.pycodegen import compile, compileFile
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python2.6/compiler/pycodegen.py", line 9, in <module>
    from compiler import pyassem, misc, future, symbols
  File "/opt/zenoss/lib/python2.6/compiler/pyassem.py", line 3, in <module>
    import dis
  File "/home/zenoss/dis.py", line 1, in <module>
    for device in dmd.Devices.getSubDevices():
NameError: name 'dmd' is not defined

Now if I try to pass it as a zendmd script by issuing the command zendmd --script zenfixit.py, I get the following error:

Usage: zendmd.py [options]

zendmd.py: error: no such option: --script

It is really weird why I'm unable to pass the zenfixit.py script to zendmd, although I've used this same command to pass countless python scripts that interact with ZODB.

What am I doing wrong?

Andrew Kirch
2013-01-07 21:50:07 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.1.x->4.2.0 Migration Problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70865#70865

Are you running that on the old 3.x install, or the new 4.x install?  That needs to be run BEFORE migration.

Mouhammed Soueidane
2013-01-07 21:52:46 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.1.x->4.2.0 Migration Problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70866#70866

I reverted back all the changes I made to my Zenoss installation, and got back to my previous Zenoss installation which is currently version 3.1.0 (Accessible from the browser). What else should I check?

Andrew Kirch
2013-01-07 22:26:05 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.1.x->4.2.0 Migration Problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70867#70867

at that point start with the migration documentation I provided you above, and work forward slowly.

Mouhammed Soueidane
2013-01-07 22:29:39 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.1.x->4.2.0 Migration Problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70868#70868

I forgot to mention that I followed the same steps in the link that you have provided above. My link was:
http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13022 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13022

After checking both links, I have realized that they are similar.

Any other suggestions?

Mouhammed Soueidane
2013-01-08 15:50:10 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 3.1.x->4.2.0 Migration Problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70832#70832

I fixed the problem by doing the following:
1. - Go to the link HOST_ADDRESS:8080/zport/dmd/joblist
2. - Now click on JobManager
3. - Under JobManager, you should be able to see one item called “jobs” make sure to check it and then click on delete
After deleting the “jobs” item, from the dropdown list in the upper right corner, choose “ToManyContRelationship” and choose to add it. When prompted for the “Name” of the new item, make sure to call it “jobs”

Now as the Zenoss user, issue the following commands in your terminal:
*1-*  zenchkrels -x1 -r
2- python $ZENHOME/Products/ZenUtils/zencatalog.py --createcatalog