add properties to organizers
nelsan
2013-03-11 18:40:50 UTC
nelsan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nelsan] created the discussion

"add properties to organizers"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72338#72338

Hi.

I'm trying to figure the best approach to add some properties to a organizer (group, location or system), nothing fancy.
Adding them (properties) to the object isn't a problem, but "showing them" on the interface is somewhat confusing, i don't know how to extend the default "skin" of this kind of organizers.
I'm using a zenoss 4.2 core.

Thanks.

jcurry
2013-03-12 12:31:17 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: add properties to organizers"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72355#72355

Can you provide a more concrete example?

Orgainizers (Location, Group, System) don't have zProperties; only device and deviceClasses (and event classes) have zProperties.

What are you trying to achieve?

Cheers,
Jane

nelsan
2013-03-12 21:37:43 UTC
nelsan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nelsan] created the discussion

"Re: add properties to organizers"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72367#72367

Well, let's assume that I’ve a place (location) with a bunch of devices.
Someone is responsible for this place and I’ve the contact of this person.
It would be nice to have an easy way to associate this contact.
Doing it bellow a device organizer isn't functional since it's easy to have devices bellow the same device group at multiple locations, with different contacts.

Shane Scott
2013-03-15 20:03:30 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: add properties to organizers"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72430#72430

nelsan:

I hope you're well!

I'm thinking the best approach would be to extend the user objects and add a method for creating a one to many relationship between the user and 'owned' locations/devices.

Such an extension could be developed as a zenpack. I'm a consultant, feel free to email me at mailto:***@shanewilliamscott.com ***@shanewilliamscott.com or mailto:***@gmail.com ***@gmail.com and we can talk about it.

Best,
--Shane Scott (Hackman238)

nelsan
2013-03-27 20:36:46 UTC
nelsan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nelsan] created the discussion

"Re: add properties to organizers"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72632#72632

Hi.

It could be a workaround for the example I gave, but not the solution I'm looking for.

There's a lot a things that could make sense to associate to systems, groups or locations organizers. Things so simple that most of them could be only properties, without any need to relate with other objects.

Still, thanks for the feedback.