Problems with performance collector graphs
johnnynoc
2011-12-19 18:24:35 UTC
johnnynoc [http://community.zenoss.org/people/johnnynoc] created the discussion

"Problems with performance collector graphs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63345#63345

Hello Zenoss-Users,

I'm using BigEgor's distributed collector zenpack and regularly run into problems with the collector performance graphs not rendering or only some of them rendering.

I have 3 collectors, a localhost and 2 remote collectors and I have this problem on all of them.

Probably 90% of the time I try to view the performance statistics of the collectors I see the following message for all (and sometimes only 1 or 2) of the RRD graphs.  The other 10% of the time I see the graphs with seemingly no problems.  Rarely will it work for all 3 at the same time though.

+There was a problem rendering this graph. Either the file does not exist or an error has occurred. Initial graph creation can take up to 5 minutes. If the graph still does not appear, look in the Zope log file $ZENHOME/log/event.log for errors.+

My Render URL for localhost is:
| /zport/RenderServer |

My Render URL for the remote collectors are:
| http://hostname:8091 |

I try to follow the suggestion in the error message but there's never anything helpful.

Can someone suggest something else to look into or another means for me to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,
John

dpetzel
2011-12-19 21:31:49 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Problems with performance collector graphs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63358#63358

http://masterServerUI:8090/CollecterName http://masterServerUI:8090/CollecterName
The CollectorName needs to what the collector shows up under the collectors tab (in the off chance its different than the actual host name).

May or maynot help, but it was at the root of my issue.

johnnynoc
2011-12-19 23:09:30 UTC
johnnynoc [http://community.zenoss.org/people/johnnynoc] created the discussion

"Re: Problems with performance collector graphs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63346#63346

I'll give it a shot but I didn't have high hopes as the performance graphs for the collectors don't live on the masterserver but on the collectors themselves.

Reason I say that is because I don't see the RRDs for the remote collectors in /usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/perf/Daemons/, only localhost.

johnnynoc
2011-12-19 23:13:41 UTC
johnnynoc [http://community.zenoss.org/people/johnnynoc] created the discussion

"Re: Problems with performance collector graphs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63347#63347

That looks to have done it.

Thank you dpetzel!

dpetzel
2011-12-19 23:42:23 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Problems with performance collector graphs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63361#63361

Glad it worked. Just a comment on your previous post:
as the performance graphs for the collectors don't live on the masterserver but on the collectors themselves

I had the same exact assumption when I first got started and what I came to figure out is that URL I provided seems to leverage ZenHub on the master to call the collector to access the rrd files. Originally I thought like you, it was trying to load the RRD data directly from the master, but after lots of painful debugging I came to the assumption that its simply a way to use ZenHub as a proxy to the collector.

In my case I notice that when using the 8091 approach and firebug, I could see my client browser attempting connections to the remote collector directly rather than using the master. IE my HTTP GET was to http://myCollector:8091 http://myCollector:8091.

In my case the clients dont have any connectivity to the collector, so the ZenHub proxy approach was my only option.