How to setup Zenoss alert to send one email for all devices
Yang Luo
2011-12-12 10:53:50 UTC
Yang Luo [http://community.zenoss.org/people/large_potato] created the discussion

"How to setup Zenoss alert to send one email for all devices"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63216#63216

Hi there,

Our application is running on 10 devices (i.e. servers). I've setup an email alert on Zenoss. Currently zenoss is sending one email per device upon an event trigger. My mailbox is flooded. Does anyone know how to setup zenoss so I only receive aggregated one email for all devices?

Another question is, I setup the warning threshold on the application to "5". Does Zenoss apply the threshold "5" or "0.5" (5/10) on each device?

Thank you very much.

2011-12-12 13:59:56 UTC

"Re: How to setup Zenoss alert to send one email for all devices"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63198#63198

Zenoss doesn't support sending aggregate e-mails... There were some forum discussions on this a couple years ago, but it boiled down to either get alerts or not - and I guess I'd set up more specific alerting rules?

Your second question isn't making any sense to me - I don't think I have the necessary context... perhaps consider:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Yang Luo
2011-12-12 14:46:45 UTC
Yang Luo [http://community.zenoss.org/people/large_potato] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup Zenoss alert to send one email for all devices"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63217#63217

Thanks a lot jmp242, it saved me loads of time trying to find a solution for the first question.

I think I should re-phrase my second question:

Currently our application is running on 10 devices.  I wish to receive email alert once the aggregated number of errors of all devices exceeds "5 errors per second".
Currently zenoss is sending me 10 email alerts for 10 devices, each email stating the threshold "5" has been reached. I am wondering if it meant each device has reached "5 errors" (i.e. the total errors becomes 50) or the aggregated errors on all devices has reached 5?

The reason I am asking above question is, if I re-specify the alerting rules and only receive alert for one device, should I set the threshold to 0.5 instead of 5?

2011-12-12 17:09:12 UTC

"Re: How to setup Zenoss alert to send one email for all devices"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63226#63226

Hmm, Zenoss only is looking per device. To set up an aggregate alert like you're talking about is going to require some event transforms, or maybe an event command... You'll need to have the incoming events run some code to check out the count (which is a pain as count isn't set on the incoming event, so you have to go out to the database and look it up), and then probably generate a new event if the count is > 5...

You should look at the wiki's etc on how to get count from an event transform...

themactech
2011-12-15 15:34:34 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup Zenoss alert to send one email for all devices"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63296#63296

I have made command script and/or event scripts that read or write data to file, this could be a mechanism to do what you want.

You could create an event script that only gets triggered by events on your 10 devices, this script would increment a number read from a text file and write it back.   Your script could look at both the value of the number in the text file and check the delta between the 'current time' and the 'last modified' date of the file.  This would allow you to do logic with 'event count' and 'time elapsed' to trigger response of your choice, and you can aggregate event count from all your 10 devices in one place.  You have full control on how you code your data to that file, so you can do the event record/math any way you wish.

All of this can be done within a ZenPack as well.

Manuel