Monitoring disk space without file system modeling
Mihail Lukin
2013-11-15 18:43:02 UTC
Mihail Lukin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/m_lukin] created the discussion

"Monitoring disk space without file system modeling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75272#75272

I have 2 devices with linux-based firmware. They support SSH and basic Unix commands (uname, ps, df, etc.), so they can be monitored under /Server/SSH/Linux. There are hundreds of mount points on them, which are just bind mounts. Most of them are read-only and 100% full. If I'll model this device with default plugins I'll get a lot of unneeded components under Components/File Systems.

I've disabled "df" modeler plugin, modeled the device and then added file system manually using mount point as ID.

Now Zenoss shows that Total = Used = Free Bytes = 0, Util% = "Unknown", Block Utilization graph fails to render, Inode Utilization graph is rendered just fine.

Is disk space monitoring possible without modeling a file system with default plugin? Can I manually set Total Bytes on manually added file system? Or maybe I've got a bug?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Rob Eagle
2013-11-15 18:49:19 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring disk space without file system modeling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75284#75284

Not sure if this helps or not, have you tried just using zFileSystemMapIgnoreTypes or zFileSystemMapIgnoreNames to just ignore the bind mounts all together during modeling?  Then at least you would model the fs's that you care about and not even see these remote mounts.  Modeling is almost a necessity if you want events based on usage.
--Rob

Mihail Lukin
2013-11-18 08:15:56 UTC
Mihail Lukin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/m_lukin] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring disk space without file system modeling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75286#75286

And I wasted so much time with zHardDiskMapMatch  :)

All mount points  I want to ignore are under /dir1/chroot. As far as I understand, Zenoss uses re.search to match zFileSystemMapIgnoreNames against mount point. So, setting zFileSystemMapIgnoreNames to /dir1/chroot solved my problem at once.

Thank you very much for your advice!