Where to set command timeout time for Extensions commands?
GOM
2011-11-05 23:25:46 UTC
GOM [http://community.zenoss.org/people/GOM] created the discussion

"Where to set command timeout time for Extensions commands?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62445#62445

I have a custom command in /usr/local/Extensions. It sometimes takes ~10 seconds to execute. Sometimes it takes 50ms to execute. When it takes a short amount of time, everything is fine, when it takes ~10s I get:

"Command timed out"

How can I make this respect a 20 second timeout time? I tried the steps at http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-9804 Resolving Command Timed Out Issues ; I set zCommandCommandTimeout to 20 on the device that runs the datasource/command. Does not help. Restarted Zenoss. The Device running the command is not remote, it doesn't have an IP or represent a real host, it's just something to bind templates to, does that matter to where I define the timeout?

zCommandCommandTimeout seems to be referring to "Time in seconds to wait for commands to complete on the *+remote+* device."
my command is running locally on the zenoss server from the /Extensions directory, using a dummy Device. How do I tell it how long it should wait before timing out? It times out within 5 seconds. Verified with zentestcommand, when it takes under 5 seconds, then it works fine, otherwise, command timed out.