- Network Map
Andrew Kirch
2013-01-30 19:25:22 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the poll:

"Network Map"

This poll is in progress and voting is open.
To view the poll, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/polls/1060
We would like to know how/if you use Network Map, which displays a layer 3 view of your network's topology.

Comment by replying to this email -or- go to the poll on Zenoss Community
[http://community.zenoss.org/polls/1060]

Create a new poll in zenoss-users by email
[poll-community-forums-zenoss--***@community.zenoss.org] -or- at Zenoss Community
[http://community.zenoss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=18&containerType=14&container=2003]
nilie
2013-01-31 19:22:47 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] commented on the poll

"Network Map"

To view all comments on this poll, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/polls/1060#comments-6364

In our environments this feature can't be used for the following reasons :
* complex, redundant network paths
* multiple firewalls between network segments
* WAN clouds or internal networks managed by third-party providers
There is no way Zenoss could figure out L2/L3 network topology just by looking at the routing tables of each device. Maybe adding a way of manually building the network map might help but I admit it woud be too much hassle for Zenoss dev team to start working on it so I don't know if it worths the effort.

Andrew Kirch
2013-02-05 14:59:23 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] commented on the poll

"Network Map"

To view all comments on this poll, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/polls/1060#comments-6366

Nilie,

First off, I tend to agree with your position, and am merely playing devil's advocate here.  The concept that we can't easily discern the layout of a network when we do have routing tables, and switching (essentially a complete view of layers 2-3) should allow us to determine both how frames, and packets are traversing the network.
What you are validly identifying are cases where that becomes unreasonably expensive as far as system resources, and development time.