Notes on 4.2.3 on centos 6.3 minimal
briffle
2013-01-10 16:42:49 UTC
briffle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/briffle] created the discussion

"Notes on 4.2.3 on centos 6.3 minimal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70934#70934

I have finally gotten zenoss 4 working on my centos 6.3 servers (running only a minimal install of the OS.  Maybe this will help some people, I was going all over the place to combine figure it out.

I had several issues, related to rabbitmq more than anything.. However, here is a page I followed for a manual install: http://www.sysadminwiki.net/site/doku.php/monitoring/zenoss/zenoss_4.2_centos_6_installation_guide http://www.sysadminwiki.net/site/doku.php/monitoring/zenoss/zenoss_4.2_centos_6_installation_guide

I'm sure the auto-deploy script would work, with the below changes, but I didn't re-verify that.

Couple of notes..  A few things that I had to do, to "Make It Work".
* I installed the newest version of rabbitmq-server, which is version 3. (this is newer than the 2.X that the autodeploy wants!)
* the startup script for rabbitmq does not work on centos 6.x.  here is an explanation, and one that does* http://www.couyon.net/1/post/2012/7/so-you-want-to-run-rabbitmq-on-rhelcentos-6.html http://www.couyon.net/1/post/2012/7/so-you-want-to-run-rabbitmq-on-rhelcentos-6.html

* it appears that the new version of rabbitmq I installed did not have the same syntax for one of the commands. (maybe cause its a new version)* for the file $ZENHOME/bin/install-functions.sh, chane the following line:* #local perm_exists=`"$RABBITMQCTL" -q list_user_permissions -p "$RABBITMQ_VHOST" "$RABBITMQ_USER"`
* to this:
local perm_exists=`"$RABBITMQCTL" -q list_user_permissions "$RABBITMQ_USER"`

* It does not like you specifing the -p $RABBITMQ_VHOST

* From this posting, had to update my .bashrc file, and then restart the install:* http://community.zenoss.org/message/68815#68815 http://community.zenoss.org/message/68815#68815

After that, I'm finally up using zenoss4.

Philip Warren
2013-01-11 15:03:34 UTC
Philip Warren [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pwarren] created the discussion

"Re: Notes on 4.2.3 on centos 6.3 minimal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70946#70946

I'm glad you were able to get up and running using RabbitMQ 3.0, however we haven't yet tested against that release and it is currently unsupported. You can follow progress on this ticket for updates on Zenoss support for 3.0: http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-4344 http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-4344

There is at least one feature of RabbitMQ we are using that was removed in 3.0 ( http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/11/19/breaking-things-with-rabbitmq-3-0/ http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/11/19/breaking-things-with-rabbitmq-3-0/) - the immediate flag on basic.publish which is used in at least one place. Are you able to create events from the event console?

-- Philip

briffle
2013-01-11 15:13:51 UTC
briffle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/briffle] created the discussion

"Re: Notes on 4.2.3 on centos 6.3 minimal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70947#70947

We don't actually create manaul events on the events page, our systems create more than enough for us :)

I am still just in testing.. Should I put the newest 2.x version on, (rpm -e --dodeps to remove, then re-add the correct one) and then rerun the command +$ZENHOME/bin/zenoss_upgrade_pre+ again?

I didn't really think about the *use version 2.x or higher" warning in the setup.  Didn't even think about backwards compatibility being broken.

Jay Richards
2013-01-12 09:31:55 UTC
Jay Richards [http://community.zenoss.org/people/cordeos] created the discussion

"Re: Notes on 4.2.3 on centos 6.3 minimal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70962#70962

We upgraded serveral highly loaded CentOS 6.X 64bit Zenoss machines today to Zenoss version 4.2.3 and it went flawlessly... after installing/upgrading the rabbitmq  package to 2.8.7 version. We also ran yum update first to upgrade all installed repo packages.

The package install is very quick, but starting Zenoss the first time after the upgrade took a VERY long time on some machines - but it eventually churned through the upgrade commands and started normally.

http://www.rabbitmq.com/releases/rabbitmq-server/v2.8.7/ http://www.rabbitmq.com/releases/rabbitmq-server/v2.8.7/

jshardlow
2013-01-15 12:55:14 UTC
jshardlow [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jshardlow] created the discussion

"Re: Notes on 4.2.3 on centos 6.3 minimal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70975#70975

Thanks for the pointer to the latest RabbitMQ! That bit went pretty smooth for me, though hit a ZenPack problem later (one from the core ZenPacks too!).

Carl Fuller
2013-02-06 21:24:02 UTC
Carl Fuller [http://community.zenoss.org/people/cfuller] created the discussion

"Re: Notes on 4.2.3 on centos 6.3 minimal"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71415#71415

I got it running on minimal CentOS 6.3 install.  After the first few times it failed, I ran the diagnostics and it said the rabbitmq server user couldn't sudo or something (Sorry, I didn't document the message at the time).  So, I did a clean OS install and installed sudo from yum prior to running the autodeploy script.  It's been working for a few days.  Now if I can just figure out why these Zenpack installs are failing...