Interface status events problem
Javier S
2012-10-11 09:04:34 UTC
Javier S [http://community.zenoss.org/people/javi] created the discussion

"Interface status events problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69020#69020

Hi there

I have a little issue with the interface status events. Currently I have some Windows and Linux devices monitored but I only receive events from Windows devices (events about interface status).

I've followed this doc to configure it http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2494 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2494 and it works great for WIN devices.

To check if the problem was for 64 bits devices I've created the same DataSource for the /ethernetCsmacd_64 but nothing, the events doesn't appear

Are there any different configuration for linux devices?

Thanks a lot in advance

BR

jcurry
2012-10-12 09:39:54 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Interface status events problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69079#69079

The linux devices should be just the same.  To check the template being used for a linux device, navigate to it's page, select an interface and use the Display dropdown in the middle of the main panel to select Template.  That will show exactly which template you are using.  You can follow the link there to make sure that the applied template has your changes.

Cheers,
Jane

Ryan Matte
2012-10-12 10:35:42 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Interface status events problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69097#69097

I wrote half of that document and I do recall receiving alerts for Linux devices.  I'll do a test when I get in to the office to validate.

Javier S
2012-10-15 12:12:45 UTC
Javier S [http://community.zenoss.org/people/javi] created the discussion

"Re: Interface status events problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69159#69159

Hi!
Thanks for your comments.

Jane, I 've checked the templates. Windows devices are using  /ethernetCsmacd template and Linux devices are using /ethernetCsmacd_64. As I said, both templates has the same datapoint and threshold to generate the operstatus event.

Kind regards

Ryan Matte
2012-10-15 12:54:57 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Interface status events problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69162#69162

How exactly are you testing a port going down?  Doing ifdown on a port probably isn't going to work since that technically removes the whole interface.  You need to actually unplug the interface to get an alert as I recall.

You should login via SSH and become the zenoss user by doing:
sudo su - zenoss

After that, do:
zenperfsnmp run -v10 -d yourdevice

Check to see if it's collecting data for the interface and if there are any visible errors.

Javier S
2012-10-15 14:48:25 UTC
Javier S [http://community.zenoss.org/people/javi] created the discussion

"Re: Interface status events problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69181#69181

Hi Ryan

I've tried it with a "ifconfig <interface> down".  This is a virtual machine server in a production enviroment, are there another way to test this on the server with a minor service loss?

Also I've tested the command you said. I recieved a lot of information about the server but I can't see any error message about interfaces

Sorry I'm a newbie with the couple linux-zenoss

Thanks
BR

Ryan Matte
2012-10-15 15:06:48 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Interface status events problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69183#69183

To accurately test it you would need to login to vmware, right click on the vm, select edit, go to the network interface and click on the checkbox to disconnect it (which will be like pulling the network cable out).  Yes you're going to get a lot of output from that command, you need to take the time to read through it to find the relevant information.

Javier S
2012-10-16 07:15:30 UTC
Javier S [http://community.zenoss.org/people/javi] created the discussion

"Re: Interface status events problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69231#69231

Hi Ryan
I feel like a dummy :( Finally I found the problem. When I created the ifOperStatus datapoint into /ethernetCsmacd_64 template I set the RRD data source type as "gauge". Now I've changed this RRD type to "derive" and it works perfectly

Thanks a lot for your support and sorry once again for my mistake

Kind regards

Ryan Matte
2012-10-16 14:40:00 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Interface status events problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69246#69246

ifOperStatus is supposed to be gauge.  ifLastChange is supposed to be derive.  You shouldn't be setting ifOperStatus to derive, I can promise you it's not going to work properly.  ifOperStatus is a status value 1 for up, 2 for down, etc...  Derive is going to calculate the difference every cycle, meaning if it changes from 1 to 2 it's going to display 1 (since 2 - 1 = 1).  If nothing changes it's going to save the data as 0 since there was no change.  Gauge interprets the literal value, which is required for properly thresholding against the ifOperStatus values.  ifLastChange is a timestamp that increases (until a reboot of the device) when the interface resets which is why derive is used for detecting changes in that.

Javier S
2012-10-18 08:21:35 UTC
Javier S [http://community.zenoss.org/people/javi] created the discussion

"Re: Interface status events problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69344#69344

Hy Ryan
Thanks once again for you reply.
As you said I've changed the data type of ifOperStatus to gauge and it works properly now. I don't know why it's working fine now with the same configuration that I tested before.
Anyway thanks a lot for your help. Now I need to solve my other event issue but I'll ask about it in another topic

Regards