Localhost SMTP no longer sending alerts
zlyles
2012-02-29 15:41:00 UTC
zlyles [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zlyles] created the discussion

"Localhost SMTP no longer sending alerts"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64837#64837

Hello All,

I am currently running the Zenoss Core 3.1.0 VMWare appliance.
From day one we have always opted to use the built-in SMTP server for alerts, this way if our corporate mail server goes down we still get alerts.  After a while I noticed we were no longer recieving alerts from the server.  I logged into the interface and tried to send test messages, but nothing happens.  Rebooting the server does not resolve the issue.
If I change the smtp server to our mail server everything works like a charm.

Last time this happened, there was a newer version available which I upgraded to and after the upgrade everything worked great for a time.  But now the newer version is doing the same thing.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zak

dpetzel
2012-02-29 22:16:37 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Localhost SMTP no longer sending alerts"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64858#64858

I'd try sending an STMP message via telnet and see what you can see.

zlyles
2012-03-07 16:27:08 UTC
zlyles [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zlyles] created the discussion

"Re: Localhost SMTP no longer sending alerts"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65043#65043

Telnet is unable to connect.  I logged into the box as root and checked services and was unable to find any SMTP services.

This is odd, as it initially worked so there was some sort of SMTP service.