device report errors
Robert Bell
2011-11-05 17:52:40 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62457#62457

When I try to view any device report I get this:

I cant find this in any log files. It happens on all device reports, I can't view any of them

*Type:*
*Value: primaryAq*

2011-11-07 13:20:31 UTC

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62451#62451

What version of Zenoss on what platform? I've seen you post a bunch, and it seems like there's a lot sort of broken with your install, but I don't recall all the details for each thread. It's always a good idea to put full info in a thread so it's self contained.

Robert Bell
2011-11-07 18:40:01 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62471#62471

Sorry, This is Zenoss 3.2.1 on RHEL5 64 bit

Robert Bell
2011-11-07 20:04:22 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62475#62475

I figured this out. It was due to a broken ZenPack

dpetzel
2011-11-07 20:35:43 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62469#62469

Which one? Knowing which is broken, could save others your same pain in the future, or alert the original author that something is up.

Robert Bell
2011-11-07 22:18:48 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62477#62477

Its the Community F5 zenpack. Turns out I broke the ZenPack, or maybe its just not completely compatible with this version (3.2.1) Once I set the device class to /Network/f5 it would not model and I would see things like

AttributeError: 'BigipLtm' object has no attribute 'primaryAq'
d.setPerformanceMonitor('localhost')
commit()
d.collectDevice
now the Big IP devices will Model and my device reports work.

dpetzel
2011-11-07 22:29:33 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62488#62488

Well there is some Irony.... Thats my ZenPack :(

I'm just now (as of this week) testing it on 3.2.1, previously I only tested it on 3.0.3 and 3.1. If there is a bug, I'm very much interestedin resolving it.

When you say "+Once I set the device class to /Network/f5+" what exactly does that mean? Did you move an existing device into that device class, or something else?

I don't recall having any references to primaryAq in that code, but I'll search through it again tonight.

And steps to resolve were:
1) Re-Install The Pack
2) Run the 3 line DMD script above?

Robert Bell
2011-11-07 22:42:57 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62479#62479

I have another f5 to add. I'll do it right now and pay closer attention and post a again in a bit.

yes, all I did to fix it was

d = find('mydevice')
d.setPerformanceMonitor('localhost')
commit()
d.collectDevice

Again, there's a good chance I screwed this up somehow. I'll do it again now and see if I can't break it again

Robert Bell
2011-11-07 23:17:25 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62480#62480

This time I added the F5 by hostname and only set the SNMP community name.

It initially had no device class but it was reporting basic info like interfaces

Next I changed the device class to /Network/f5 - get the yellow warning banner on the page that says "failed to move devices". Returning to the infrastructure page I see that it is /Network/f5 (despite the error message)

Next I bind both of the BigIP templates

Now try to model the device, you get

Exception while performing command:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUI3/browser/streaming.py", line 44, in __call__ self.stream() File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUI3/browser/command.py", line 144, in stream device.collectDevice(REQUEST=self.request, write=self.write) File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/Device.py", line 1824, in collectDevice perfConf.collectDevice(self, setlog, REQUEST, generateEvents, AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'collectDevice'

This time I set the collector via the UI (so UI and zendmd work here) and then modeled the device and it worked.

After a successfull model, I still have no data. I notice the SNMP community name has reverted to the default.

Set the community name and remodel

Viola!

hope that helps

dpetzel
2011-11-07 23:41:02 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62481#62481

Well the good news (for me), is I don't think this is direclty related to the ZenPack itself. The traceback all references core modules and no Zenpack modules.

All that aside, I'm a bit baffled by your approach of adding new devices (or at least this device).
I'm assuming you are adding the device via the Web UI? If so won't don't you simply choose the proper device class on the device add screen rather than attempting to move it there after the fact?

If you had the device directly, or drag/drop into the /Network/f5 class, the appropriate templates should automatically get inherited from the device class, avoiding the need to manually bind them.

All and All I think your install is clean, and you just need to refine your process for adding new devices.

Robert Bell
2011-11-07 23:59:17 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62483#62483

No doubt, I am still learning Zenoss, thanks for your help and patience.

Even though this appears to be configured correctly I'm getting messages like:

Error reading value for "TotalConnections" on x.mydevice.com (oid .1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.2.10.2.3.1.11 is bad)

yet I can snmpwalk that OID just fine.

dpetzel
2011-11-08 00:06:31 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62484#62484

Try the following:
1) Log into your Zenoss server via SSH
2) change to the Zenoss User
zenperfsnmp run -d x.mydevice.com - v10
This should produce some really verbose output and ideally give a little more insight on whats up.

Robert Bell
2011-11-08 00:41:46 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62485#62485

hrmm, no smoking gun. This doesnt seem right though

2011-11-07 16:40:03,086 INFO zen.zenperfsnmp: success:0 fail:0 pending:0 todo:0

dpetzel
2011-11-08 00:45:42 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62501#62501

Yeah seems off... Where did you see "Error reading value for "TotalConnections" on x.mydevice.com (oid .1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.2.10.2.3.1.11 is bad)" message?

Have you restarted Zenoss since re-installing the zenpack?

Robert Bell
2011-11-08 00:49:36 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62502#62502

Its in the event log but I notice the event is a few hours old and it did not repeat. Now its just doing nothing

dpetzel
2011-11-08 00:59:42 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62503#62503

I'd do the following (shotgun approached based on not know what has been done, and current state):
1) Clear anyevents for the device in question
2) Delete the bigip devices you added previously via the 'non-direct' approach
3) Restart Zenoss
4) Re-added the bigips using the UI, ensuring you select /network/f5 from the device add screen (not after the fact), be sure to put the proper snmp string and all that jazz on that single screen (You shouldnt need to touch device after adding)
5) See if any of the events come back
6) See if zenperfnsmp reflects any run details (not success:0 fail:0 pending:0 todo:0)

Again I don't have any data to suggest that all of the above will fix anything, but it would allow further troubleshooting to be done from a clean slate.

Robert Bell
2011-11-08 04:18:11 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: device report errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62490#62490

OK, that worked except I still had to bind the templates.  Adding a single device with the proper class, did allow the device to model correctly and it had graphs for my virtual servers but no templates. I bound the two F5 tempates and I have data now for my servers.

one last question.  The filter, I have a simple wildcard in there now. What are you expecting in that field? can regex be used? There are 1700 virtual servers and I only need a subset, but more than I can get with just  a simple wildcard

Thanks again

dpetzel
2011-11-08 11:55:20 UTC

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62510#62510