Quick process to add process monitoring
Le Dude
2012-03-23 04:13:09 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Quick process to add process monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65411#65411

Hi all.

I'm just wondering.  Is there a way to add a process to be monitored quickly and somehow force zenoss to check whether that process is the right process rather than waiting for it to check whenever the cycle is?  I'm currently having issue testing process monitoring such as OS processes>mysqld and it kept telling me that mysqld process is not available eventhough when I connect to the server manually, mysqld is up and running.  It must be something noob that I did that prevent me from seeing it but I can't figure out what.  Please advise?  Many thanks.

2012-03-23 11:31:46 UTC

"Re: Quick process to add process monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65415#65415

Restart ZenProcess after any process monitoring changes. You can also manually model a device to force the modelers to run...

Note, the SNMP configuration will have to say that mysqld is running in the host resources MIB (IIRC)... Do you get other SNMP data from the problem device?

Le Dude
2012-03-23 22:42:17 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: Quick process to add process monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65425#65425

Thanks James.

For some reason I'm getting a mysqld, httpd and lighttpd not running error on all the machines that I'm monitoring.  This just caused a major email storm this morning.  How would I test it to get the SNMP data from the host resources MIB?  My apology for the noob questions...  I'm at lost.  :-(

2012-03-26 12:02:39 UTC

"Re: Quick process to add process monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65473#65473

Do any processes monitor correctly? Are you getting SNMP Agent is down events for the device? Or is it just not matching on the OS processes you want to monitor?

Le Dude
2012-03-26 17:37:14 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: Quick process to add process monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65482#65482

James.  Once in a blue moon I get an SNMP agent down message and I couldn't figure out why.  However, the biggest problem I have is with mysqld monitor.  I installed the Zpack for sqlmonitoring, added the necessary file to the target machine, change the permission, etc, etc but I still get the can't login to mysql server and I believe it has something to do with ssh port like the one I posted on the other subject.  Kind of at lost right now.  :-(

Shane Scott
2012-03-26 17:46:07 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Quick process to add process monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65492#65492

Dude:

Don't use process monitoring built in to v3, it's just not working well. I'd suggest using Egors SQLDataSoource and running tests in that manner.

--Shane

Le Dude
2012-03-26 18:37:46 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: Quick process to add process monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65484#65484

thanks Shane.
i'll try that.  so should i uninstall th mysql zenpack then?

Shane Scott
2012-03-26 18:54:54 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Quick process to add process monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65493#65493

Dude:

I reccomend removing packs you aren't using, yes.

--Shane