Zenoss 4.2 and VMWare
thunter0028
2012-12-27 19:03:16 UTC
thunter0028 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thunter0028] created the discussion

"Zenoss 4.2 and VMWare"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70720#70720

I our production environment we current have 8 blade servers and 3 physical servers that act as Hosts for VMWare. After turning on SNMP for the server that runs vSphere, we have been able to get traps sents to us that were defined in vSphere. The problem with this is that each time a new trap is sent, vSphere sents it under the same oid and it increases the count on the event instead of creating a new one. This is a problem due to the fact that dierent alarms in vSphere are sending and being overwritten in the Zenoss Events. My question to everyone is how can I separate all of the traps that are being sent and have then produce their own event?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

jcurry
2012-12-30 13:20:28 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 and VMWare"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70746#70746

If vSphere is sending the same TRAP (enterprise OID and specific trap number) for several TRAPs that you wish to differentiate between, then you need to do some work with Zenoss event customisation to create different evnt class mappings and hence, different event classes.

I am just in the process of updating my Zenoss Event Management paper for Zenoss 4 but the older version should give you the basic ideas - http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-3538 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-3538 .

Hopefully the Zenoss 4 version of the paper should be available the first week of the New Year.

Cheers,
Jane