libvirt monitoring + zenhub does not start
ron_e_e
2012-11-02 10:56:00 UTC
ron_e_e [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ron_e_e] created the discussion

"libvirt monitoring + zenhub does not start"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69687#69687

Hello,

I've been following zenoss for some time, decided to try the latest version, running into various issues. Installed zenoss 4.2 on CentOS 6.

Reading about the product, it seems that libvirt monitoring functionality has been mentioned in the past, even promoted for instance here:

http://www.zenoss.com/about/news/Zenoss_to_Highlight_KVM_Virtualization_Monitoring_Capability_at_Red_Hat_Summit.html http://www.zenoss.com/about/news/Zenoss_to_Highlight_KVM_Virtualization_Monitoring_Capability_at_Red_Hat_Summit.html

However, the zenpack mentioned appears to not be maintained and in fact I have been unable to get it to work despite quite a bit of effort. I've searched for info on this quite a bit and I appear to be stumped at the same place others are stumped as described here:

https://github.com/zenoss/ZenPacks.community.libvirt/issues/1 https://github.com/zenoss/ZenPacks.community.libvirt/issues/1

Yes I do have a zenoss user and it can login via ssh key (no interactive password prompt).

This command does yield a list of guests:

python /opt/zenoss/ZenPacks/ZenPacks.community.libvirt-1.71.egg/ZenPacks/community/libvirt/libexec/check_libvirt.py -u zenoss -H host_ip

However as described at the link above, modeling fails in the same way. I am guessing that perhaps that when modeling happens perhaps the wrong ssh key is used.

Additionally, after a reboot and adding more RAM to the machine running zenoss, I cannot seem to get zenhub to run, this breaks any attempt at modeling a device. Have searched and read about this quite a bit as well.

Unfortunately I have not had an easy time of it with zenoss so far.

Questions:

1.Can someone point me in the direction of a workable fix for zenhub? Tail of zenhub.log shows:

Exception: Could not publish message. Connection may be down
2012-11-02 03:28:46,425 INFO zen.zenoss.protocols.amqp: amqp connection was closed [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer
2012-11-02 03:28:49,428 INFO zen.zenoss.protocols.amqp: amqp connection was closed [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

2. Is the libvirt zenpack deprecated / not supported? What then is the recommended way to monitor a KVM hypervisor server?

Thanks in advance.

dpetzel
2012-11-02 12:32:12 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: libvirt monitoring + zenhub does not start"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69689#69689

Sorry to say, I don't have any advice on your first isue about libvirt, however your zenhub error has cropped up in numerous threads in recent history. It indicates an issue with the rabbitmq-server service on that host. I've got a very basic troubleshooting script, I'm looking to get off the ground. Can you try running this: https://github.com/dpetzel/zenoss_analyzer https://github.com/dpetzel/zenoss_analyzer

It will check some of the basic rabbitmq stuff (as well as other items), and might make it easier to debug whats broken.