How to configure High Memory Utilization in zenoss
Mahi Nix
2012-01-18 10:15:41 UTC
Mahi Nix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mahi_nix] created the discussion

"How to configure High Memory Utilization in zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63763#63763

Hello Friends, I am New in zenoss monitoring system, i wanted to configure High Memory Utilization Alerts in zenoss. When my server uses 90% of memory and also 90% of Swap_memory (Linux-Server) at that time zenoss sends an email alert to the specific Email ID. Please help me to sorted out this issue.

Thank you in Advance,
Mahi_nix

jcurry
2012-01-24 09:30:35 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: How to configure High Memory Utilization in zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63843#63843

Most of what you need is there already in Zenoss.  The peformance template for /Server/Linux alreday gathers mem_avail_real and mem_avail_swap and there is a threshold provided on mem_avail_swap at 1024000.  You could very simply create a second thresholdld for real memory in a similar fashion.  If you need to set thresholds at percentages then that's harder - do you really need to?

Once a threshold is configured - and you also configure an event class for the event you want to be generated - then you can create an email alert for user(s), based on the event class that you selected. Note that alerts are associated with users, not events.  The email will go to a user's configured email address but it is perfectly possible to override that address explicitly for any given alert.

Cheers,
Jane

jcurry
2012-01-24 09:45:12 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: How to configure High Memory Utilization in zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63844#63844

Another possibility that maps very well to your requirement, would be to treat the ram and swap as "filesystems".  The default filesystems performance template has a 90% threshold.  By default, filesystems don't include ram and swap but if you look at the configuration Properties for a device (or better, a device class), there is a parameter for zFileSystemMapIgnoreTypes.  The default is to ignore ram and virtualMemory, but if you remove these two lines then they will be sampled and you get exactly what you want.

Bear in mind that the FileSystem template is a COMPONENT template.  It is automatically bound to components of devices and you should NOT manually bind that template.  To see details, navigate to the FileSystems component for a device, select a filesystem and then use the Display dropdown to show Graphs for the component, events for the component and the template in use for tha component.  If you want to make an exception to the threshold for a particular device, the Template dropdown gives you the opportunity to Create Local Copy (though you should avoid such exceptions as far as possible).

Cheers,
Jane

Mahi Nix
2012-01-24 11:25:16 UTC
Mahi Nix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mahi_nix] created the discussion

"Re: How to configure High Memory Utilization in zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63846#63846

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your valuable reply. i am trying to do the same as suggested by you and give you the feedback is this works for me or not.

And Yes i need it in percentage like Nagios alerts in percentage. please let me know if you have any idea to get alerts in percentage.

Thank You,

mahi_nix

Kumar Sambhav Pandey
2013-03-01 08:50:18 UTC
Kumar Sambhav Pandey [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sambhavpandey] created the discussion

"Re: How to configure High Memory Utilization in zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72217#72217

Thanks Jane,

Your solution worked perfectly.

I have transformed the event summary to "High Usage' from "High Disk Threshold".

I am trying to explore If it is possible to completely seprate the template for Physical Memory component(in Filesystem) , so that I can define different Global threshold for Physical memory component.

I can do it locally by creating a local copy for each device but that will be difficult to maintain in future.

Best Regrads,

Sambhav