Zenoss Backups
Ed Reber
2013-07-12 17:40:20 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Zenoss Backups"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73948#73948

Hello,

I have been tasked to create backups of our Zenoss environment, and back them up to disk and tape. I have successfully created a cron job to backup our Zenoss environment. My problem is getting those backups to a Windows share. I have Samba installed, but I am having issue seeing the shares on the Windows server. I know this does not have to do with Zenoss itself, I was hoping that someone on this forum has dealt with this before and can point me in the right direction on this issue.

Andrew Kirch
2013-07-12 17:42:36 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Backups"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73939#73939

Samba adds another layer of complexity, why not script WinSCP to grab it via the already running ssh server?

dpetzel
2013-07-12 17:44:11 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Backups"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73949#73949

To go a little further down Andrew's route what we do is have the backup agent on the Zenoss host. So we have zenbackup dump to a "backup" folder locally and the backup agent running on the zenoss box shovels it to tape, without any middle men.

Ed Reber
2013-07-12 17:53:06 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Backups"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73950#73950

Our Zenoss install is on a virtual machine and does not have a tape device directly attached to it. Which is unfortunately why I need the middle men.

dpetzel
2013-07-12 17:55:22 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Backups"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73951#73951

We dont have a tape physically attached either. Most decent backup softwares have the concept of a "remote" agent. So a machine with the tape attached, can communicate with the remote node, thus removing the need for file copying hoops.

2013-07-12 18:50:57 UTC

"Re: Zenoss Backups"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73940#73940

Also, if you're a Windows shop, you could probably do something with smbclient from the Linux side to push to a Windows file share...

CLASSE Computer Group

Ed Reber
2013-07-12 19:00:08 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Backups"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73952#73952

That is what I am trying to use, but I cannot see the Windows share. I get an access denied. Apparently Windows 2008 does not allow anonymous connection.

2013-07-12 19:15:52 UTC

"Re: Zenoss Backups"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73941#73941

so, specify a user account?

CLASSE Computer Group

Ed Reber
2013-07-12 19:22:25 UTC

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73953#73953

Vaibhav.Narula
2013-07-12 19:50:46 UTC
Vaibhav.Narula [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Vaibhav.Narula] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Backups"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73955#73955

try these

Ed Reber
2013-07-12 20:07:30 UTC
Ed Reber [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sekreber] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Backups"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73957#73957

Thank you for your reply. The first command worked. I was missing the domain= parameter on my original command. Thank you again for your help.