help my brain work good..clusters
nozen
2012-01-04 08:39:28 UTC
nozen [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nozen] created the discussion

"help my brain work good..clusters"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63522#63522

I need helping working out how this is going to work.

Lets say i have a 4 node unix cluster and at even given time there is only one active node.

How would i monitor a process across all 4 when its only running on one node and can switch at any time?

This goes for san attached disks as well, how does everyone handle disks being removed from one node and presented on another?

Its probably really obvious i just can't think of it.

Thanks
     nozen

dhopp
2012-01-04 12:50:25 UTC
dhopp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dhopp] created the discussion

"Re: help my brain work good..clusters"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63503#63503

I'm not 100% sure how this would work with disks on unix since with net-snmp the oid could change when the disk fails over.  But for process monitoring I would add a "cluster" device as a separate device from those 4 other devices.  I am assuming you have an IP address that is moving from one server to another in the case of failover, so add the cluster device with that IP and then monitor the shared resources via that one IP.

--Dennis