Disable localhost heartbeat
sajjad
2013-03-12 09:04:14 UTC
sajjad [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sajjad] created the discussion

"Disable localhost heartbeat"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72356#72356

Hello everyone,

I've been following the thread http://community.zenoss.org/message/61153#61153 http://community.zenoss.org/message/61153 and related threads for a while, but nothing has worked so far.

We get a few of these "+localhost localhost zenstatus/zenwinperf/zenwin/zensyslog/zenprocess/zentrap/zenactiond heartbeat failure+" alerts every other day (Zenoss 4.2.0) and it's driving everyone crazy.

Is there a way to completely disable this? Rest of the monitoring is working fine so this particular feature is just annoying the users.

Thank you.

jcurry
2013-03-12 11:54:03 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Disable localhost heartbeat"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72351#72351

When you say that you are getting "alerts", are you referring to email or paging alerts that you have configured that trigger from an event, or is the real issue just the events themselves?

A few heartbeat events occasionally is typically not an issue.  It is generally caused by a temporarily overloaded Zenoss system and/or as your referenced append notes, this may be caused by short polling intervals and/or lots of devices that do not respond and estra load is caused by lots of retries.  If the problem really is transient then typically the event will be closed automatically at the next heartbeat polling cycle.

I would check the logfiles for each of the daemons that generate these events and see if you can find the root-cause of the overload.  What is the spec of your Zenoss system - CPU and memory??

If you are generating alerts for these heartbeat events and that is really your issue then you could either add a Delay of, say,10 minutes, to the Notification, giving it time to Clear on the next polling cycle or you could add an extra field to the Trigger for your alert to set the Count field to >1 as another way to achieve the same thing.

I would not recommend dropping / hiding heartbeat events as one day they really will be trying to tell you that your Zenoss system is in trouble.

Cheers,
Jane

sajjad
2013-03-12 12:08:12 UTC
sajjad [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sajjad] created the discussion

"Re: Disable localhost heartbeat"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72359#72359

It's the events themselves that I wanted to get rid of. But you're right about not dropping them entirely.

Nothing out of the ordinary in the logs, but the system is a virtual machine so performance is an issue and high load at peak times is likely what's causing the events.

I'll take your advice and create a separate trigger for it with a longer delay/higher count.

Thank you,
Ahmed S.