One minute polling
Adrian Pinzari
2012-10-12 18:56:50 UTC
Adrian Pinzari [http://community.zenoss.org/people/apinzari] created the discussion

"One minute polling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69135#69135

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Zenoss community - and firstly I must say what a great job the developers did! Thank you.

However, with the time I spent on a certain issue I can definitely sya I am no longer new to it. I am running Zenoss 4.2 SP1 on a Centos 6.3 virtual machine deployed using the autodeploy.sh script. I can get all the devices I need monitored and that works great. However, I would like more granularity in the data I collect and wanted to set up 1 minute graphing (and as a result data collection, which should allow me to receive alerts based on one minute graphing). I wanted to start off with SNMPv3 enabled devices and extend this feature to WMI-monitored devices.

I ran into some issues though. I closely read and followed two guides:

http://community.zenoss.org/message/50090#50090 http://community.zenoss.org/message/50090
http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2445#HowdoIchangetheGraphintervalsfrom5minutestosomethingelse http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2445#HowdoIchangetheGraphintervalsfrom5minutestosomethingelse

But it seems like they are written for a version earlier than Zenoss 4.2. Even with changing the SNMP polling interval to 60 seconds and trying to modify the "Default RRD Create Command" under "Advanced - > Collectors -> localhost -> Edit", deleting all RRD files and waiting for them to recreate I still got 5 minute granularity. Additionally, entries in the zenperfsnmp.log file where generated every 4-5 minutes or so.

rrdtool info shows all creatd graphs with a step of 300. So then, how would one go ahead an modify the default step for all graphs? I scavenged through
http://dev.zenoss.org/trac/browser/branches/zenoss-2.5.x/Products/ZenRRD/zenperfsnmp.py zenperfsnmp.py, http://dev.zenoss.org/trac/browser/branches/zenoss-2.5.x/Products/ZenRRD/RRDUtil.py RRDUtil.py. (which by the way are different than that in the discussion post I mentioned above) and it looks like the step of the graph should be that of the "SNMP Performance Cycle Interval (secs)" value, but it is not. I'm at a loss here, and any help would greatly be appreciated from someone that was able to acoomplish this in 4.2

With great respect,

Adrian

dpetzel
2012-10-14 13:09:12 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: One minute polling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69149#69149

Your post above sure looks like you followed all the right steps. I'm curious if you don't need to restart the the daemons (or the full stack), after making the interval change.

Adrian Pinzari
2012-10-17 20:30:17 UTC
Adrian Pinzari [http://community.zenoss.org/people/apinzari] created the discussion

"Re: One minute polling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69324#69324

Thank you for your feedback.

I changed all the settings, and restarted the Zenoss server. A few days later still, graphs are showing wit 5 minute resolutions.

jshardlow
2012-10-18 14:00:25 UTC
jshardlow [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jshardlow] created the discussion

"Re: One minute polling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69347#69347

Once again sounds like you've done everything right. When I tweaked my 4.2 installs to 1 minute polling I did the following:

Advanced -> Collectors -> localhost -> SNMP Performance Cycle = 60
Advanced -> Collectors -> localhost -> Process Cycle Interval = 60
Advanced -> Collectors -> localhost -> Default RRD Create Command  = (I'm not too hot on RRD numbers, so this is what we use)
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:24000
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:24000
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:24000
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:24000
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:24000
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:24000
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:24000
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:24000

Infrastructure -> Devices -> /Devices/Server/Linux (for example) -> Configuration Properties  -> zSnmpCollectionInterval = 60

Stop Zenoss completely.
Remove /opt/zenoss/perf/*
Start Zenoss

Hope this helps point you in the right direction!

prioret
2013-06-06 17:46:10 UTC
prioret [http://community.zenoss.org/people/prioret] created the discussion

"Re: One minute polling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73530#73530

This worked for me in 4.2

nilie
2013-06-06 18:36:51 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: One minute polling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73520#73520

For my own curiosity, how many datapoints do you have and how high is the CPU IO wait time ?

prioret
2013-06-06 20:04:49 UTC
prioret [http://community.zenoss.org/people/prioret] created the discussion

"Re: One minute polling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73531#73531

I have it running on a sigle CPU VM with 4GB of ram.  I only have 6 devices but they are very large switches with lots of interfaces, almost 2000 total, So I'm collecting a good amount of data. The system is doing fine.

My load averages are 0.00 0.08 0.08
My Ram is almost 100% used, but thats just mysql.

prioret
2013-06-06 20:06:13 UTC
prioret [http://community.zenoss.org/people/prioret] created the discussion

"Re: One minute polling"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73532#73532

Oh sorry, my wait is between 0% and 2%. Mostly in the 0 range. That being said, this is on a large VM server with lots of backplane IO and fast clustered drives.