How to model network-interfaces without monitoring them?
shakespear
2013-06-05 15:21:25 UTC
shakespear [http://community.zenoss.org/people/shakespear] created the discussion

"How to model network-interfaces without monitoring them?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73475#73475

is there any way to model network-interfaces (and get their ip, mac adress etc.) but not to poll their performancedata and interface states?

greetings,
christian

joanypony
2013-06-05 15:28:49 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: How to model network-interfaces without monitoring them?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73494#73494

There is the option to turn off monitoring on a per-interface basis. I don't know how to do it per device. Possibly look at the "zInterfaceMapIgnoreNames" field in the device/device class configuration?

Regards,
Joan

shakespear
2013-06-05 16:16:18 UTC
shakespear [http://community.zenoss.org/people/shakespear] created the discussion

"Re: How to model network-interfaces without monitoring them?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73476#73476

hi,

thank you - but zInterfaceMapIgnoreNames will prevent the whole interface from being added as an component to the device. Thats nur fully what I intended.

I would like to have the interface "object" with its attributes (IP-Adresse, MAC-Address)
but not to monitor it (i.e. no query of performance counters and ifoper/ifadmin status).

Regards,
Christian

jcurry
2013-06-11 09:07:22 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: How to model network-interfaces without monitoring them?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73576#73576

How about creating a copy of the existing interface template(s), ethernetCsmacd and/or ethernetCsmacd_64 at the device class level where you don't want to monitor.  ie. from ADVANCED -> Monitoring templates, use the Action icon to Copy / Override the template at the /Devices level to, say, /Devices/Server and then in the new copy, remove all the datasources - or if you may want to use them in the future then you can simply disable the datasources.

The component templated binds automatically to device components, using the lowest-level version of the template.  Do NOT change the template name - it must match exactly with the underlying object name.

If you really want to disable ethernet monitoring for everything, you could simply disable the datasources at the /Devices level of the template(s).

Cheers,
Jane

shakespear
2013-06-11 09:15:34 UTC
shakespear [http://community.zenoss.org/people/shakespear] created the discussion

"Re: How to model network-interfaces without monitoring them?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73578#73578

Yes - that's sounds very good. I will do it this way - it is the perfect solution because I want to disable the Perf.Data for device-classes (e.g. Printers, UPS etc.) but need there interfaces and mac-adresses.

I started my thinking on the "wrong end of the tree" - i.e. on the device-layer and not on the class-layer :)

Thank you!

Cheers,
Christian