Location of Command stored for Monitoring template
Le Dude
2012-03-23 04:45:31 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Location of Command stored for Monitoring template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65412#65412

HI all.

I have found an out of box setup that I think is incorrect when I run it under this folder..

Advanced>Monitoring Templates>Device>Server/Linux>SysUpTime>Test Against Device

I use SNMP V3 and when I punched in the address, the SNMPWALK command is wrong.

Executing command snmpwalk -cPublicCommunityName -v3 66.171.182.220 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.1.0 against 192.168.2.50

I thought for V3 the correct command should be..

snmpwalk -uSNMPUserName -v3 -l authNoPriv -aMD5 -ASNMPPassword 66.171.182.220 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.1.0 against 192.168.2.50

I tested it with my correct command and it works but not the out of the box one because I turn off my SNMP V1 or V2.  The Version shown above is using the correct version which is V3 but the username and password is incorrect.  I'm guessing it's a bug but I'm not going to make that judgement yet.  For now, I just need to know where those command store so that I can edit it to make it right?  Please advise?

dpetzel
2012-03-23 08:14:34 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Location of Command stored for Monitoring template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65427#65427

Are you sure you have configured the auth and privacy settings on the device/device class?
http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-9414 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-9414

Le Dude
2012-03-23 17:01:20 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: Location of Command stored for Monitoring template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65421#65421

Thanks dpetzel.  Yes I did because when I do the snmpwalk command that I created, it works...

dpetzel
2012-03-23 17:10:23 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Location of Command stored for Monitoring template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65422#65422

I'm not sure I follow your response. The fact that you hand crafted a valid snmpwalk command is no indication that the auth and privacy settings are configured properly within zenoss. Maybe attach a screen shot of the application secion of configuration properties to confirm

Le Dude
2012-03-24 02:32:06 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: Location of Command stored for Monitoring template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65441#65441

Sorry for the confusion.  What I'm trying to say is I created a command called snmp_v3 with this statement that used the information in the zenoss dbase.

snmpwalk -v3 -u${device/zSnmpSecurityName} -l authNoPriv  -a${device/zSnmpAuthType} -A${device/zSnmpAuthPassword} ${here/manageIp} system

and it works so it really not a direct command to test it.  I use the variable in zenoss to test it and it works.  So back to the question, where do zenoss store the command on the backend to do what I'm looking for which is this one.

snmpwalk -cPublicCommunityName -v3 66.171.182.220 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.1.0 against 192.168.2.50

because that command is incorrect for V3 and I'd like to correct it to something like this..

snmpwalk -uSNMPUserName -v3 -l authNoPriv -aMD5 -ASNMPPassword 66.171.182.220 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.1.0 against 192.168.2.50

I hope I'm making sense now.  Again high possibility that this is a noob answer.  Many thanks.

dpetzel
2012-03-24 21:32:45 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Location of Command stored for Monitoring template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65447#65447

I think you may indeed have found a bug, the code in question appears to come back to

http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/browser/tags/zenoss-3.2.1/Products/ZenModel/BasicDataSource.py#L126 http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/browser/tags/zenoss-3.2.1/Products/ZenModel/BasicDataSource.py

The command is built is here: http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/browser/tags/zenoss-3.2.1/Products/ZenModel/BasicDataSource.py#L173 http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/browser/tags/zenoss-3.2.1/Products/ZenModel/BasicDataSource.py#L173
command = snmptemplate % snmpinfo
snmptemplate appears to be hard coded to the following string:
http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/browser/tags/zenoss-3.2.1/Products/ZenModel/BasicDataSource.py#L29 http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/browser/tags/zenoss-3.2.1/Products/ZenModel/BasicDataSource.py#L29
snmptemplate = ("snmpwalk -c%(zSnmpCommunity)s "
                    "-%(zSnmpVer)s %(manageIp)s %(oid)s")
It doesnt appear that the test device function checks if its snmp3 or not...

Le Dude
2012-03-25 18:32:40 UTC

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65450#65450

Thanks Dpetzel.  Cool I guess?  It confirms what I thought.  So now, if I just updated my http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/browser/tags/zenoss-3.2.1/Products/ZenModel/BasicDataSource.py#L29 http://dev.zenoss.com/trac/browser/tags/zenoss-3.2.1/Products/ZenModel/BasicDataSource.py#L29 , will that fix the problem?  Let me try it and see whether that fix my problem.  Many thanks again.  :-)  I'll keep everyone updated..