Multiple interfaces on the same device showing as separate devices.
Geoff Miller
2012-12-28 16:35:41 UTC
Geoff Miller [http://community.zenoss.org/people/geoff.m] created the discussion

"Multiple interfaces on the same device showing as separate devices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70727#70727

Hello Zenoss Community!

I added most of my network into Zenoss through the use of the IP range add feature. As a result, many of the devices it detected are actually multiple interfaces of the same device. Some devices I have duplicated up to 4 times. I am wondering if there is a built-in function from zenoss to detect this and to consolidate it all for me or if I have to do it manually. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

I am running Zenoss 4.2.0

2013-01-02 19:27:10 UTC

"Re: Multiple interfaces on the same device showing as separate devices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70765#70765

I don't know of any consolidition function, I think you have to do this manually.

j053ph4
2013-01-02 21:30:58 UTC
j053ph4 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/j053ph4] created the discussion

"Re: Multiple interfaces on the same device showing as separate devices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70771#70771

Doesn't this get worked out automatically if the device in question has SNMP configured to allow queries of the interface table?

Joseph

Geoff Miller
2013-01-02 21:53:52 UTC
Geoff Miller [http://community.zenoss.org/people/geoff.m] created the discussion

"Re: Multiple interfaces on the same device showing as separate devices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70773#70773

Thanks for your responses guys. I am still ironing out getting all of my SNMP configurations setup. That would be great if that does fix it for me. Otherwise, I'll just do it manually, I gues. I inherited a huge network with little info. So, I have a lot of wholes to plug. You guys have been very helpful. Thanks!

nilie
2013-01-03 04:36:53 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Multiple interfaces on the same device showing as separate devices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70777#70777

Especially when you have a large or very large network, assigning management IP addresses from a dedicated pool/segment for each device goes a long way in protecting your mental health as a network admin. By doing this, you can fire auto discovery at will but only on those management network segments so that you're not being plagued by this kind of scenario. And you will also have some more extra benefits that I will not list here.

2013-01-03 13:22:25 UTC

"Re: Multiple interfaces on the same device showing as separate devices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70788#70788

The larger point I see that nilie has implied is - know what you're monitoring. I cannot think of many situations where you want minute by minute monitoring of, say, desktops in your organization, so the shotgun approach to discovery probably isn't what many users want.

I personally manually add "critical" or "interesting" systems to Zenoss as I go - and it works as a bit of a "these should be up" list for other admins if someone's out, vs much less important systems (like desktops) where if they're not up after a power outage or some other glitch, no one has to come in after hours to deal with it...

Geoff Miller
2013-01-09 16:32:48 UTC
Geoff Miller [http://community.zenoss.org/people/geoff.m] created the discussion

"Re: Multiple interfaces on the same device showing as separate devices."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70889#70889

jmp242, that is such a simple point but a very good one. I got a bit oversighted than what the main purpose of this is. I will take your advice on being more precise on configuration for devices that fall within the scope what what is critical or interesting.

Thanks everyone for your responses. This helped a lot.