Batch Local Template
Chris Phipps
2012-05-04 16:42:25 UTC
Chris Phipps [http://community.zenoss.org/people/HawtDog] created the discussion

"Batch Local Template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66226#66226

Is it possible to make use of DMD or another means of adding a local template to a device? I'm in the process of migrating from Nagios to Zenoss but have about 1700 devices I need to migrate... I really don't want to hand jam each device with about 5+ snmp data points as well as map several graphs per template. I know I can use the batchprocess python file to add devices and attach global templates but this would be to "broad" of an approach for me as each template needs to be different.

For example, 3/4 of the devices are temperature sensors that use the same OID's but are labeled depending on the rack/room they are in. If I did a global template, they would be simply "Sensor 1-2" instead of "Rack 174 Temperature".

Version Info:
| Zenoss (http://www.zenoss.com/) | Zenoss 3.2.1 |
| OS (http://www.tldp.org/) | Linux (x86_64) 2.6.26 (Linux uxap03-e 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Mar 4 21:48:06 UTC 2012 x86_64) |
| Zope (http://www.zope.org/) | Zope 2.12.1 |
| Python (http://www.python.org/) | Python 2.6.2 |
| Database (http://www.mysql.com/) | MySQL 5.0.45 (Ver 5.0.45) |
| RRD (http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool) | RRDtool 1.3.9 |
| Twisted (http://twistedmatrix.com/trac) | Twisted 8.1.0 |
| NetSnmp (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/) | NetSnmp 5.4.1 |
| PyNetSnmp (http://www.zenoss.com/) | PyNetSnmp 0.29.13 |
| WMI (http://www.zenoss.com/) | Wmi 1.3.13 |

Thanks,
Chris

dpetzel
2012-05-05 15:42:05 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Batch Local Template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66236#66236

Yes you can use DMD to create and bind local templates, however, I'm not clear based on your example why you would want to? In your example above the sensor is a device? If that is the case it has its own label, comments etc You would then have a "Device Template" in which you define the OID that returns the temperature.

Its possible I'm misunderstanding your requirements, but on the surface It feels like you do really want a common template (probably applied to a Device Class)

Chris Phipps
2012-05-07 11:04:01 UTC
Chris Phipps [http://community.zenoss.org/people/HawtDog] created the discussion

"Re: Batch Local Template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66255#66255

dpetzel,

Firstly, thank you for the response.

Secondly. Yes, the temperature sensors are devices but with one hitch. each device has several temperature sensors that are attached to other devices... In this case, racks that are labeled as such. Here is an example:

* Room 147 Sensors (Device)* Rack 192 Temperature (Sub Device)
* Rack 123 Temperature (Sub Device)
* Rack 148 Temperature (Sub Device)

* Room 234 Sensors (Device)* Rack 209 Temperature (Sub Device)
* Rack 219 Temperature (Sub Device)
* Room 234 Relative Humidity (Sub Device)

As you can see, yes, they are devices but each device has a remote sensor that connects via cat5 and can be placed throughout the room. My assumption was that a local template was, infact a device template. Admitidly, i'm new to zenoss so my understanding of terminology is vague at best. Here's what I have been doing manually to add devices with custom sub devices.

1. Add device via IP or hostname
2. open device and create a new local template for it.
3. add the OID's appropriatly for that local template.
4. create custom graphs for said OID's
5. Rinse and repeat

What I don't want to do is create a monitoring template (global template) for all "like" devices as these custom sub devices are different per device. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Chris