Zenoss 4.2.3 heartbeat errors
jeff.thorne
2013-04-05 18:29:31 UTC
jeff.thorne [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jeff.thorne] created the discussion

"Zenoss 4.2.3 heartbeat errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72697#72697

I keep getting heartbeat erros, I have cleared them and they still comeback. I have tried to restart some Daemons and that still didn't have a affect. They keep coming back. Is there some where that I need to look so that I don't get the errors anymore?

jcurry
2013-04-08 12:27:01 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.3 heartbeat errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72731#72731

try monitoring your Zenoss system with the Unix top utility.  The heartbeat is basically saying that the central zenhub daemon has not received a heartbeat from colector daemon(s).  This does happen occasionally if the box is busy.

Is it the same daemon(s) that keeps giving heartbeat errors or do you get a kluge where they all report heartbeat errors?  If the former, it may be a problem with that daemon or its workload (like zentrap getting flooded with TRAPs for example).  If the latter scenario then it is more likely to be a Zenoss server performance issue.

Cheers,
Jane

jeff.thorne
2013-04-08 13:48:03 UTC
jeff.thorne [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jeff.thorne] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.3 heartbeat errors"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72719#72719

Thanks for the response. I will give that a try to monitor it with the Unix top utility. Then I will go from there and hopefully get it fixed or find out whats causing it.