Cycle Interval
Rob Light
2013-01-22 21:23:19 UTC
Rob Light [http://community.zenoss.org/people/roblight] created the discussion

"Re: Cycle Interval"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71151#71151

Reviving an old thread here but I'm having trouble adjusting the SNMP Performance Cycle Interval.  I used the method described in this thread by Nick Y. but I'm not seeing my changes.  I've restarted Zenoss a few times and I'm using tcpdump on the device being monitored to monitor Zenoss' SNMP requests.  I'm using Zenoss version 4.2.0 (VMware appliance).  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2013-01-23 15:32:15 UTC

"Re: Cycle Interval"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71173#71173

What do you mean by not seeing your changes? Did you delete and recreate any RRD files? Did you set any cycle time overrides in the device class or device zproperties?

Rob Light
2013-01-23 17:40:46 UTC
Rob Light [http://community.zenoss.org/people/roblight] created the discussion

"Re: Cycle Interval"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71166#71166

Hi James, thank so much for the quick reply.  The only change I made was to the SNMP Performance Cycle Interval under Advanced>Collectors>localhost.  I changed it from 300 to 60 seconds, clicked save and then stopped/started the Zenoss daemons (via /etc/init.d/zenoss).  I'm verifying the change by running tcpdump on the device and I can see the SNMP GetNextRequest/GetResponse traffic occuring every 5 minutes even after the change.  My expectation is to see the SNMP traffic every minute after the change.  Is my expectation incorrect?

I'm not focused on seeing the RRD graphs being updated quicker.  I'm interested in getting data from the device more often so as to generate a notification in a more timely manner.

Thanks again,
Rob

2013-01-23 20:14:39 UTC

"Re: Cycle Interval"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71181#71181

You may want to check the zSnmpCollectionInterval in the device class or device... This is new in v4, so the previous v3.x instructions wouldn't mention it. That said, I'm not sure what happens if the RRD files can't take the more frequent updates - that may be something to check also... most people who do the changes you're talking about want more fine grained graphs, so I don't know if you can ignore that part.

Finally, or possibly firstly - try a zenoss restart as the zenoss user. Some daemons don't pick up configuration changes without that consistently.

Rob Light
2013-01-24 15:16:13 UTC
Rob Light [http://community.zenoss.org/people/roblight] created the discussion

"Re: Cycle Interval"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71206#71206

Thanks, James!  Changing zSnmpCollectionInterval did the trick.

For the benefit of other folks, here's another thread that I just discovered that was useful to me:

http://community.zenoss.org/thread/18566 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/18566

jplouis
2013-01-24 15:46:15 UTC
jplouis [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jplouis] created the discussion

"Re: Cycle Interval"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71207#71207

Sorry for the confusion. The snmp cycle interval will be removed from the collecor page in the next version.

http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-2974 http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-2974