Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?
handsy
2012-02-07 08:43:21 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64317#64317

I am trying to monitor a Thales device. It is fully capable of SNMP, I have added it successfully to my Zenoss installation and it recognises each interface as I would expect. The problem I'm having is Zenoss's displaying of the interface stats:

I know full well that this interface is being utilised much more than this graph shows, and I think there is a calculation issue. I've done an SNMPWALK, and for this interface I believe the following SNMP OIDs are relevant:

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.3 = String: "DC2000 to Network"
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.5.3 = Gauge32: 100000000
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.3 = Counter32: 1890662
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.3 = Counter32: 1014793
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.17.3 = Counter32: 4970
From a quick look at what I've given you above, can anyone confirm whether there may be a potential calculation issue in Zenoss for my device's interface stats? I have not put my Thales device in any group in Zenoss, just /Devices.
Many thanks,
Mark

2012-02-07 13:44:23 UTC

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64320#64320

That could be - remember Zenoss only gets a snapshot every 5 minutes, so if it happens to have bursty traffic in aligned 3 minute bursts, then you might not see it untill it crosses a 5 minute boundry.

handsy
2012-02-07 15:10:43 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64340#64340

OK, so how could I increase the frequency of collection for this particular device, to once a minute say?

2012-02-07 15:32:23 UTC

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64341#64341

Changing the frequency is one of those things that if you don't know how to do it already (via RRD), I can't help you very much via the forums. All in all I wouldn't recommend it. You can find forum posts and some docs and FAQ entries about it, but it is fraught with peril.

handsy
2012-02-07 15:45:50 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64343#64343

Well I won't try that then!
I'm struggling to believe that in over 24 hours SNMP polling has managed to miss every occurence of throughput greater than 2k/sec :-/

There must be an answer to this.
My gauge shows the interface correctly as 100MB, and then I have a Counter32 for that interface with a value of 1890662. How does zenoss calculate bits/sec from that value please? ..and what would the answer be?

Thanks

Shane Scott
2012-02-07 18:51:56 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64329#64329

handsy:

You need to use 64-bit counters.

--Shane

handsy
2012-02-07 19:23:34 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64345#64345

No I don't.
If you look at my original post you'll see that the counter is Counter32. That coupled with the fact that the device can only do SNMPv1 means I'm only interested in 32-bit counters.

Still struggling with this fellow zenossers, please help :((

Shane Scott
2012-02-07 19:28:58 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64330#64330

handsy:

Oh, my mistake, I didn't real the whole post. :)

If you don't mind collecting all snmp data at a higher rate you can change your snmp collection interval and rrd create command on the collectors page. If thats a problem you'll need to create a logical collector with the faster polling rate and correct rrd create command and assign the higher polling rate devices to that specific collector.

Note that all rrd files created prior to the rate change will need to be deleted so they can be recreated with the correct step by zenoss. This means the prior performance data is lost, unless you want to script a solution to convert them.

--Shane

handsy
2012-02-08 09:06:20 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64351#64351

Right, I like the idea of a separate collector for these specific devices so I went right ahead and added one, but well it isn't collecting.
Is there a special method I need to follow to create a second collector?
Does zenoss not just give additional collectors a different source port when polling devices?

Thanks

Shane Scott
2012-02-08 15:03:06 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64369#64369

Handy:

Gotcha. Can you post a screenshot of the extra collectors settings page? Advanced tab -> Collectors -> Pick collector

We should be able to get this working. The process is intentionally difficult in Zenoss Core.

--Shane

handsy
2012-02-08 15:11:25 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64358#64358

Thanks Shane, here you go:

Shane Scott
2012-02-08 15:16:12 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64370#64370

handsy:

Alrighty, that looks good. Can you post the RRD create command on that page as well as a screen shot of the daemons page (left column)?

Thanks,
--Shane

handsy
2012-02-08 15:21:18 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64359#64359

RRD Create command:

+RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:300+
+RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:300+
+RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:300+
+RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:300+
+RRA:MAX:0.5:6:300+
+RRA:MAX:0.5:24:300+
+RRA:MAX:0.5:288:300+

Screenie of daemons:

Thanks

Shane Scott
2012-02-08 16:39:20 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64373#64373

Handsy:

This this rrd create command:

RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:600
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:600
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:600
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:600
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:600

This is what we use for polling at a 2 minute interval.

You'll need to delete all RRD's created with the old command and restart the daemons on this collector.

Once done, assign one of your devices to this collector and run (at the cli) the zenperfsnmp associated with this collector (fast_zenperfsnmp for example) in the following manner: zenperfsnmp run now -v10 -d {device}. Please post the result.

Thanks!

--Shane

handsy
2012-02-09 11:13:24 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64423#64423

OK I've modified the RRD create command as you said, but don't really understand the next bit about running zenperfsnmp??
I've called my additional collector 'fastercollect'. I don't see any other copies of zenperfsnmp created with a 'fastercollect' prefix :-/

Shane Scott
2012-02-11 19:14:55 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64481#64481

handsy:

Alrighty. There's a few differnt ways to do this, so I'll need to determine which are in place. On the new collectors daemon page find the PID of zenperfsnmp and on the zenoss server in a console windows execute `ps aux | grep pid` where pid is the PID you determined for zenperfsnmp. Note the name of the process and the path to the executable. If it is infact just $ZENHOME/bin/zenperfsnmp, we'll need to use a differnt approach than if it is $ZENHOME/bin/somethingelse_zenperfsnmp.

Best,
--Shane (Hackman238)

handsy
2012-02-15 15:51:13 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64540#64540

I did as you said, and the situation is the former, i.e. the PID relates to +zenperfsnmp.py+

Looking forward to my next move :) +
+

Shane Scott
2012-02-15 15:52:27 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64556#64556

handsy:

What instructions and method did you use to create an extra collector?

--Shane

handsy
2012-02-16 11:57:14 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64562#64562

Now this is where the problem may lie :^0

I went to Advanced - Collectors - Add Collector.....that was it!

Shane Scott
2012-02-18 18:07:53 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64571#64571

handsy:

At the console as the zenoss user, zenperfsnmp run now -v10 -d 'your device name'

Please post the result.

--Shane

handsy
2012-02-20 08:14:26 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64597#64597

Hi Shane, thanks for your patience on this :)
Attached file shows output from that command for the device in question (with the broken collector). Does that give any clues?

Shane Scott
2012-02-20 19:00:24 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64613#64613

handsy:

Lines like this: 2012-02-20 08:04:17,513 DEBUG zen.RRDUtil: /usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/perf/Devices/172.20.136.251/os/interfaces/DC2000 PPP/ifOutOctets_ifOutOctets.rrd: 0L

...suggest it's working. This this case it recieved a delta of 0. Can you do a rrdtool last {file} on a few of the RRD files?

--Shane

handsy
2012-02-21 08:31:19 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64646#64646

Hi Shane,
Here goes:

+***@ubuntu-vm:/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/perf/Devices/172.20.136.251/os/interfaces/DC2000 to Network$ rrdtool last ifOutOctets_ifOutOctets.rrd+
+1329812757+
+***@ubuntu-vm:/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/perf/Devices/172.20.136.251/os/interfaces/DC2000 to Network$ rrdtool last  ifInOctets_ifInOctets.rrd+
+1329812757+

Thanks,
Mark

Shane Scott
2012-02-21 15:47:37 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Device interface reporting - Counter32 issue?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64653#64653

handsy:

Yep, it's definitely collecting okay. On the collectors settings screen what is zenrender set to?

--Shane