Upgrade from 4.2.0sp1 to 4.2.3 hangs
Pete Starnes
2013-02-16 22:19:24 UTC
Pete Starnes [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pstarnes] created the discussion

"Upgrade from 4.2.0sp1 to 4.2.3 hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71525#71525

Anyone else had a problem with upgrading to 4.2.3?

I'm running CentOS 6.3 and followed the upgrade instructions.  It gets to a point and says something like INFO:zenpack already exists zenpacks.zenoss.apachemonitor and hangs there forever on the restart.

Had to roll back to 4.2.0

Pete

Pete Starnes
2013-02-16 23:13:00 UTC
Pete Starnes [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pstarnes] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 4.2.0sp1 to 4.2.3 hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71526#71526

[***@zenoss home]# service zenoss start
Zenoss upgraded.  Running data migration scripts...
Upgrade pre step
Checking RRDtool version >= 1.4.7: [ OK ] 1.4.7
adding default () for 'zodb-admin-password' in /opt/zenoss/etc/global.conf
adding default () for 'zep-admin-password' in /opt/zenoss/etc/global.conf
Error: invalid command 'list_user_permissions -p /zenoss zenoss'
Creating database: zenoss_zep
Applying schema version: 5
Dropping database: zodb_session
Creating database: zodb_session
Applying schema version: 1
Upgrading to use persistent sessions...
Already using persistent sessions or using custom session storage. zope.conf will not be altered.
Starting zeneventserver...
Migrating data...
INFO:zen.migrate:Database going to version Zenoss 4.2.2
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing AddZHardDiskMapMatchProperty (4.2.1)
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing RemoveConfigTimesGraph (4.2.1)
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing RemoveDCSHFromCommand (4.2.1)
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing AddDiscardedEventsRate (4.2.2)
INFO:zen.migrate:Installing RemoveCycleTimeGraph (4.2.2)
INFO:zen.migrate:Loading Reports
Zenoss upgrade pre-restart commands complete.
Daemon: zeneventserver is already running
INFO:zen.ZenPackCMD:Previous ZenPack exists with same name ZenPacks.zenoss.ApacheMonitor

Shane Scott
2013-02-18 18:49:59 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 4.2.0sp1 to 4.2.3 hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71554#71554

Pete:

I'd give it another try. There's not much in the apache Monitor it could get stuck on and no traceback so I suspect that your mysql instance was probably very busy and catching up. In such a case ZODB transactions that are in progress could hold up new transactions like installing that pack. Before you upgrade try bumping the mysql memory and core allocations. This will help during the upgrade. Post your my.cnf if you need help.

Best,
--Shane Scott (Hackman238)

Pete Starnes
2013-02-18 19:04:18 UTC
Pete Starnes [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pstarnes] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 4.2.0sp1 to 4.2.3 hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71561#71561

Thanks for the response. I did try again and left it going for 1 hour with no luck. MySQL is only servicing ZenOSS on that server so it should be under zero load when ZenOSS is shut down.

Ill up the resources on the VM and try again.

Pete

Shane Scott
2013-02-18 19:05:06 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 4.2.0sp1 to 4.2.3 hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71556#71556

Pete:

What do you have allocated to the VM?

Best,
--Shane Scott (Hackman238)

Pete Starnes
2013-02-18 19:09:05 UTC
Pete Starnes [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pstarnes] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 4.2.0sp1 to 4.2.3 hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71562#71562

Good question. ;). I don't know. Checking now.

Pete

Pete Starnes
2013-02-18 19:30:06 UTC
Pete Starnes [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pstarnes] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 4.2.0sp1 to 4.2.3 hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71564#71564

2 GB RAM Reserved, Max 16 GB

CPU 1 GHZ Reserved, Max unlimited

Only set to 1 core though.  I’ll jump that up and see if it helps.  I’ll also watch the resource allocations while I attempt the upgrade again.

Pete

Pete Starnes
2013-02-19 14:14:09 UTC
Pete Starnes [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pstarnes] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 4.2.0sp1 to 4.2.3 hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71568#71568

This was originally installed to be just a demonstration system.  Instead it quickly went straight on into production.  I never bumped up the resources and it was still running on just 1 core.  I bumped it up to 4 cores and it flew right on past where it was hanging during installation.

Thanks for the help once again!

Shane Scott
2013-02-19 15:58:02 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 4.2.0sp1 to 4.2.3 hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71584#71584

Anytime!

Best,
--Shane Scott (Hackman238)