Scripts for creating devices/Group
Ranajit Jana
2013-06-19 14:55:10 UTC
Ranajit Jana [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ranajitjana] created the discussion

"Scripts for creating devices/Group"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73655#73655

We are creating Grouping and adding devices in them all via UI.

If I want to quickly add a new environment and modify some of the required changes I can make it faster with script.

So question is if I have created Group or Devices is there a way to export them to some scripts which i can run from the zenoss command line as scripts.

This will be useful in case I want to move my configuration from my sandbox environment to real production environment.

Please share your experience for the same.

Regards,
Ranajit

Ranajit Jana
2013-06-20 01:03:12 UTC
Ranajit Jana [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ranajitjana] created the discussion

"Re: Scripts for creating devices/Group"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73679#73679

I just want to make sure it is possible. I am trying to figure out documentation but could not come across any. Folks using it in production should have some way to recreate the whole environment with scripts rather than start creating everything from scrach.

dpetzel
2013-06-20 02:55:42 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Scripts for creating devices/Group"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73680#73680

A decent number of folks have used programatic methods for managing groups and devices. There quite a few different solutions including, but not limited to zenbatchload, zendmd scripts, and the JSON API.

Each has its own merits, and one isn't necessary better than another, but you do have options.

Ranajit Jana
2013-06-20 04:24:38 UTC
Ranajit Jana [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ranajitjana] created the discussion

"Re: Scripts for creating devices/Group"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73659#73659

Thank you for the pointer. Quite helpful overview.

Ranajit Jana
2013-06-20 14:54:02 UTC
Ranajit Jana [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ranajitjana] created the discussion

"Re: Scripts for creating devices/Group"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73687#73687

Felt that zenbatchloader is pretty cool and easy.

but want to know how far we can go with the txt file.

most of the example I am seeing are very basic and not sure if it will be sufficient when i start modelling.

Even the only book on zenoss only quotes a python file as a documentation.

"The zenbatchload file is a harness file for the $ZENHOME/Products/ZenModel/BatchDeviceLoader.py file. It's well documented and gives more usage examples."

Well that was quite a gripe from my side :)