How to rid myself of duplicate devices for routers with multiple interfaces?
Daniel Rich
2012-03-06 21:13:01 UTC
Daniel Rich [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sjthespian] created the discussion

"How to rid myself of duplicate devices for routers with multiple interfaces?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64988#64988

I am just starting to evaluate Zenoss but have run into a problem with discovery on network devices. For debugging purposes we put our router interfaces into DNS. So for example our 192.168.16.0/24 network would have a router at 192.168.16.1 and that would be in DNS as router-v16 (for vlan 16). We might also have 192.168.20.0/24 at 192.168.20.1 as router-v20. These are the same router, just different interfaces.

However, Zenoss detects the above as two separate devices. Is there a way to either convince Zenoss to use the sysName from SNMP for duplicate detection or to merge the devices after Zenoss has discovered them and before I add them to the router device class?

dpetzel
2012-03-06 23:37:19 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: How to rid myself of duplicate devices for routers with multiple interfaces?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65011#65011

The discovery process iterates through every IP address in the networks and IP ranges you specify, adding
each device that responds to a ping request. Further, the process adds information to any device that responds
to an SNMP, WMI, or SSH request.
Zenoss places discovered routers in the device path /Network/Router. Devices are placed in the /Discovered device
class.
So I would expect that that when the first IP gets modeled, it should detect all the other IPs as secondary IPs and then when it hits the second one, it shouldnt add it. Out of curiosity is SNMP enabled on the routers you are discovering? Perhaps they are not getting dropped into the /Network/Router device class because of this?

nilie
2012-03-07 03:27:45 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: How to rid myself of duplicate devices for routers with multiple interfaces?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65013#65013

The best practice is to put the management interface (Loopback0 or Vlan1) of all networking devices into one single VLAN per site and then fire your discovery at will against these VLANs.

Daniel Rich
2012-03-07 16:59:25 UTC
Daniel Rich [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sjthespian] created the discussion

"Re: How to rid myself of duplicate devices for routers with multiple interfaces?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65035#65035

deptzel: none of my network devices are getting placed into /Network/Router, they just stay as /Discovered. It is likely becase the majority of our devices are srouters or since they are H3C devices they don't match whatever Zenoss is doing to detect devices as routers.

nilie: We do have our devices setup that way, and if I scan the network loopback range the devices do get discovered. However if I then run a discovery on one of our server networks they get discovered again with the interface name since the interface responds to the SNMP query. For some reason Zenoss doesn't detect that as the same device. Does it not pay any attention to sysName?

nilie
2012-03-09 20:19:19 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: How to rid myself of duplicate devices for routers with multiple interfaces?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65104#65104

In this case, you may try to group the IP addresses of router interfaces into a small sub-range at the beginning or at the end of the IP range for each LAN segment and exclude this sub-range from the discovery.
I know that at least in version 3.1 (the one I'm using) Zenoss wil keep track of all IP addresses configured on a device and will not allow you to monitor the same device twice via different IP addresses but I don't know why this is not working in your case. Truth is I never used automatic discovery so this might be a possible explanation.