Problem with Zenoss VM Appliance-Kernel Panic
James Rhodes
2012-11-28 20:54:39 UTC
James Rhodes [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Animeimp] created the discussion

"Problem with Zenoss VM Appliance-Kernel Panic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70207#70207

I downloaded the latest Zenoss Appliance, and then used VMConvert to migrate it into a Vcenter 5 host. But when it begins to start up, it generates a Kernal Panic.  Here is the last screen that can be seen as the Kernel Panic happens.
usbcorei registered new driver usbhid
drivers/usb/input/hidicore.cI v2.6IUSB HID core driver
PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP8383:RBC_PNP8f13:MUUS] at 8x68_8x64 irq 1.12
serioi i8842 RBD port at 8x68_8x64 irq 1
serioi i8842 HUX port at 8x68_8x64 irq 12
micei PS/2 mouse device common for all Mice
md: md driver 8.98.3 M?X_MD_DEUSI256_ MD_SB_DISRSI27
mdi bitmap version 4.39
TCP bic registered
Initializing IPsec netlink socket
NETI Registered protocol family 1
NETI Registered protocol family 17
HCPII (supports S8 S1 S4 S5)
Initalizing network drop monitor service
mdi ?utodetecting RHID arrays.
mdi autorun ...
mdi ... autorun DUNE.
RHMDISHI Compressed image found at block 8
RRMDISRI incomplete write (—28 !I 32768) 16777216
RHMDISHI ran out of compressed data
invalid compressed format (err:1)
UFSI Cannot open root device “vg_root/lv_root“ or unknown*block(8.8)
Please append a correct “root:“ boot option
Kernel panic i not syncingi UFSI Unable to mount root fs on unknown*block(8.8)
Ideas or thoughts on what I can do to get this to work in a VCenter host?

2012-11-28 21:17:36 UTC

"Re: Problem with Zenoss VM Appliance-Kernel Panic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70209#70209

I strongly recommend just doing a CENTOS or Scientific Linux 6 install, uninstall OpenJDK, run the deploy script for 4.x and go from there. Then you have a (hopefully) properly sized VM, and knowledge of how it's setup.

James Rhodes
2012-11-28 21:20:13 UTC
James Rhodes [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Animeimp] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Zenoss VM Appliance-Kernel Panic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70210#70210

So the Appliance isn't ready for use?  I did not want to have to install and learn a new O/S just to run a monitoring tool.

2012-11-29 13:30:47 UTC

"Re: Problem with Zenoss VM Appliance-Kernel Panic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70229#70229

The appliance is only intended for light demo use. It's a big mistake to think you'll be able to treat Zenoss as a black box unless you don't actually want to customize any of the settings. I recommend looking at the ZCA FAQ I maintain, especially:
https://zcaportal.org/wiki/bin/view/ZCA/ZCAFAQ#What_should_I_know_before_using_Zenoss_63 https://zcaportal.org/wiki/bin/view/ZCA/ZCAFAQ#What_should_I_know_before_using_Zenoss_63

Specifically, I want you to have appropriate expectations so you're not going down a "primrose path" in regards to what you'll get vs what you want to do to get there.

Zenoss Core is incredibly powerful and customizable, but it's "Enterprise" software - which means it's more of a framework for monitoring that you customize to fit your specific needs than a plug and play solution. Think SAP vs Salesforce.com for instance.

That said, in the open source world, I think Zenoss is far easier to get going than Nagios, has a pretty active community and has some strong points with regard to agentless monitoring. But if you don't understand some of the underpinnings like the OS, you'll pretty quickly get lost in getting it working for you.

If you really want to plug it and forget it, you probably should buy an install, either from Zenoss Inc via Service Dynamics or from a community consultant. The ZCA has some execellent consultants we can help get you in touch with if you decide to go that way. It's very likely you'll either need to spend time learning or spend money buying a complete setup.

I haven't personally virtualized Zenoss yet - it's on my list, but I'll see what I can shake up on your vCenter issue.

James Rhodes
2012-11-29 17:17:25 UTC
James Rhodes [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Animeimp] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Zenoss VM Appliance-Kernel Panic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70240#70240

I'm not sure what you are reading to come up with your answers.  I am not looking for a black box, I am not looking for anything but getting the VM appliance that is listed on this site working.  I am attempting to trial the product, and full aware that it is not a start and forget product, but did not want to go through the hassle of doing an O/S install and product install to trial the product.

If you are unable to answer relating to the opening question, I would apprecate no further lectures on un-related items.

dhopp
2012-11-29 18:49:11 UTC
dhopp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dhopp] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Zenoss VM Appliance-Kernel Panic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70258#70258

James -

The appliance is already a VMWare image.  Is there a reason you need to run VMConvert against it?

--Dennis

James Rhodes
2012-11-29 18:52:50 UTC
James Rhodes [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Animeimp] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with Zenoss VM Appliance-Kernel Panic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70259#70259

It is a VMPlayer system, and in order to bring it into a ESX Host and VCenter, you have to use VMConvert to migrate it into the ESX environment.

2012-11-29 18:56:54 UTC

"Re: Problem with Zenoss VM Appliance-Kernel Panic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70260#70260

I apologize for lecturing you - basically the issue seems to be that the converter is breaking the image. You could run it in VMPlayer where it "just works", try and debug the conversion process, or build your own OS install in vCenter that removes the conversion requirement. Not many community members are commenting on the VMWare conversions, and the last reported success was with v4 of ESX for what that's worth. The "lecture" was just pointing out how many users successfully set up and use Zenoss.