Interface up/down events
James M
2013-01-06 09:38:38 UTC
James M [http://community.zenoss.org/people/James] created the discussion

"Interface up/down events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70819#70819

From some reason the default snmp monitoring for interface up/down is not working (no new events).
I tried to search the community forums and creating another threshold / data source but it flood the system with false alerts.

In addition, I found that there is no interface monitors or graphs for SSH monitors (linux devices), the default message is that's only available in enterprise version,
Is there any suggestion on how to configure monitoring interfaces via ssh?

thanks.

nilie
2013-01-07 19:14:03 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Interface up/down events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70847#70847

Zenoss version ? Device you're monitoring ? Any error message in Zenoss/device logs ? Anything that might help us help you ?

James M
2013-01-08 16:27:22 UTC
James M [http://community.zenoss.org/people/James] created the discussion

"Re: Interface up/down events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70834#70834

Zenoss 4.2 running on CentOS 5.4

I'm referring the snmp monitors, tried to trigger an event both on Linux server (monitored by snmp) and Cisco switch.
The default template have up/down event with severity of "info", but it never triggers it.

I'm not sure how to export logs, or which log to add to this post, I'll really appreciate if you can direct me to the right log file and I'll upload it.

Many thanks for your help!

nilie
2013-01-09 18:34:37 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Interface up/down events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70892#70892

Besides the severity level, the default template also specifies the event class that will be used. Check the configuration properties of that event class to make sure the event is not being dropped or sent to archive.

James M
2013-01-24 09:22:41 UTC
James M [http://community.zenoss.org/people/James] created the discussion

"Re: Interface up/down events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71189#71189

Hey nile
Thanks for your reply.

I have this transform configured (by default with the installation):

"
if device and evt.eventKey:
    for f in device.os.interfaces():
        if f.name() != evt.component and f.id != evt.component: continue

        import re
        m = re.search("threshold of [^:]+: current value ([\d\.]+)", evt.message)
        if not m: continue

        currentValue = float(m.groups()[0])

        try:
             usage=currentValue/float(f.speed/8) * 100
             evt.summary="interface utilization threshold, current value: %3.2f%% " % usage
             evt.message = evt.summary
        except ZeroDivisionError, e:

            pass
        break

"

Not sure if that's what filtering the events, I'll remove it and will update back.

Thanks for your help