4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs
John O'Shaughnessy
2012-09-22 15:26:14 UTC
John O'Shaughnessy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JohnO] created the discussion

"4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68712#68712

Greetings All,

In the past, I've successfully set up and run small Zenoss configurations using 2.x and 3.x.  I'm now trying to set up 4.2, and have hit a snag on the initial setup at the point where you access the Web interface, and attempt to add a user.  This follows the steps for the beginning of section 3.4 in the 4.2 Installation manual.  I tried up upload a screen shot, but the forum software wasn't allowing it.

I fill in the required fields, hit "Next" and nothing happens.  I even let it sit overnight.  I've tried it from a remote machine, and on the CentOS 6 system itself.

Any ideas what to check?

Thanks,

John

danielle duff
2012-09-24 01:21:23 UTC
danielle duff [http://community.zenoss.org/people/danielle1988] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68701#68701

maybe you can  try to install a computer screen spy monitor.

m c
2012-10-09 18:51:23 UTC
m c [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mc625569] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68967#68967

Same setup, same problem as John....

Cent os 6.3 I used the auto installation script.

John O'Shaughnessy
2012-10-09 20:37:17 UTC
John O'Shaughnessy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JohnO] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68958#68958

From reading some other notes, I'm starting to think my problem is more broad.  I was reading another note and someone suggested it appeared the appropriate environment variables were not set up correctly.  I followed that notes suggestion to set up the environment variables, and was able to move beyond the login screen, but at the next screen, after filling in the information for a couple of devices, I received an error.

I was also on CentOS 6.3, fully patched, and was using the legacy installation steps.  I've decided to blow it all away and try it again.  CentOS 6.3 is installed and patched, and this weekend I was planning on trying the auto-installation script.  I'm concerned I'll run into the same issues again.

Based on the lack of other complaints, either very few are running into this problem, or very few people are trying to install Zenoss 4.2.

Thanks,

John

m c
2012-10-09 20:40:27 UTC
m c [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mc625569] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68969#68969

I had issues any time I clicked the save button - and there were all types
of errors. I would have just downloaded the virtual image, but that
apparently does not work with ESXi - and errors out as well.

So I'm going to start again with a new install - not on 6.3....

Good luck

m c
2012-10-09 23:32:28 UTC
m c [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mc625569] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68970#68970

Update:

Deleted my install - downloaded the virtual appliance - same issue.  Tried different browsers, no luck.

This issue for me has persisted across installs, one with centos 6.3 and the script, the other by starting up the virtual appliance.

m c
2012-10-10 01:21:10 UTC
m c [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mc625569] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68972#68972

update 2:

apparently changing either the hostname or IP off of the VM defaults is what's causing this issue. Upon firther review, the first thing I was doing when booting up my VM was logging into the cli as root and changing the IP and hostname.

This was causing certain services - rabbit being one of them , not to start correclty and thus that login screen was hanging.

If I leave the VM untouched and just press on, letting it get a DHCP address, and using the default hostname, it works fine.

I suppose this is just me making assumptions about how to configure the box, and , well...we all know what assumptions do :)

This is probably an RTFM .. at least I answered my own question and didn't bother anyone.

John O'Shaughnessy
2012-10-10 03:43:43 UTC
John O'Shaughnessy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JohnO] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68962#68962

Interesting.

The first time through I had not changed the IP address or hostname after installation, as far as I recall, but I did select a hostname during the CentOS installation process (Centaur).

John

John O'Shaughnessy
2012-10-14 23:51:18 UTC
John O'Shaughnessy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JohnO] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69141#69141

I think I'm moving backwards...

After the fresh re-installation and patching of CentOS, I started the installation via the auto-deploy script.  I ended up having to manually follow a number of steps to uninstall software (MySQL, Java, etc.)

The first question that leads me to is what level of CentOS is recommended?  I was using the software development workstation configuration as I didn't see an option for server with GUI.  Of course, that leaves me with things that need to be uninstalled.

I'd continue to run the auto-deploy script after the MySQL installation.  The next hiccup was on removing Java -- There were dependancies, so I added --nodeps and re-ran the script.

The script ran all the way to the point where it tries to start zenoss.  It failed at that point because it was not finding the Oracle Java.  I manually edited /etc/profile to add the following to the bottom of the file.

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/default
export JAVA_HOME
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

Saved it, and re-started the system.

After re-starting, issuing the command 'java - version' came back with:

[***@centaur osh]# java -version
java version "1.6.0_31"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode)

At this point I attempted to manually start zenoss (basically picking up where the script left off but manually):

[***@centaur osh]# /sbin/service zenoss start
Zenoss not initialized.  Performing first-boot initialization...
Fresh install pre steps
Please confirm that the JRE in the PATH is Oracle's version.

And got this.  I re-confirmed that java -verson returned the same as above.  I'm stumped.

John

dpetzel
2012-10-15 00:17:33 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69152#69152

The script was written around the assumption that a minimal system installation would in place. I did all my testing on Centos 6.2, however I don't believe there are any recommendations around minor version. I never tried a server install with GUI so I'm unsure about that angle.

This guide shows how to install a minimum system installation http://linuxmoz.com/how-to-install-centos-6-linux-for-servers-desktops/ http://linuxmoz.com/how-to-install-centos-6-linux-for-servers-desktops/

Are you able to `sudo su - zenoss` and then run java?

My advice would be to wipe fress, and install a *minimal* installation.Following that do the installation using the script. Once the system has been hand tweaked, its quite a bit more diffcult to debug.

John O'Shaughnessy
2012-10-15 00:26:42 UTC
John O'Shaughnessy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JohnO] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69142#69142

Thanks for the quick reply.  I think you are on to something.  It turns out that when I su to zenoss as you suggested, that 'java -version' gets me the old version.

[***@centaur osh]# sudo -su zenoss

[***@centaur osh]$ java -version
java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.4.6 20120305 (Red Hat 4.4.6-4)

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
[***@centaur osh]$ which java
/usr/bin/java

I will follow you suggestion and whip up a new Centos 6.3 VM with a minmal install and try the auto-deploy script again.

Thanks!

John

John O'Shaughnessy
2012-10-16 01:52:24 UTC
John O'Shaughnessy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JohnO] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69226#69226

OK - now I'm getting somewhere!

Starting with the minimal install, as you suggested, I was able to complete the installation using the auto-deploy script with only two minor handholding points.

1) I needed to install wget to get the script - that minimal installation is -really- minimal. :)
2) The script saw that mysql-libs-5.1.61-4.el6.x86_64 was already installed, so I did the manual rpm -e to remove it.

After that, I re-ran the script, and it went through to completion with no other issues.

Now to try to compare with the other installation.  I think, based on your clue above, the previously installed Java is probably the main culprit.  I guess if I want to run Zenoss on a system with the GUI installed, I will need to figure out how to have the two Java environements live in harmony.

Thanks for your pointer!

John

dpetzel
2012-10-16 01:53:25 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69237#69237

NP glad your making traction

John O'Shaughnessy
2012-10-19 04:45:35 UTC
John O'Shaughnessy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JohnO] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2 Setup Initial Users - Web Page Hangs"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69354#69354

Just to close the loop, my initial issues were most likely related to issues with the incorrect version of Java (the pre-installed OpenJDK).

I was able confirm this based on the hint from dpetzel.  I first re-started with a minimal installation, proving that the auto-deploy script worked as expected.

After that, I re-installed CentOS again (aren't VMs wonderful!) with a CentOS desktop installation (for the GUI, and some admin apps).  I removed libre-office, as that was the only dependancy on the previously installed Java.

This time through, I followed the installation guide again. I also followed the tip to leave the existing mysql-libs in place, and install the shared-compat libraries during the MySQL 5.5 installation.  With the Desktop installation, instead of my previous Development Workstation configuration (ie, the CentOS Kitchen Sink), I ran into fewer issues.

The rest of the installation went smoothly, but I was sure to test that the zenoss user was seeing the correct java version before completing the installation.

John