Tomcat Monitoring - requires modification
Thrivikram Reddy
2012-03-12 14:54:29 UTC
Thrivikram Reddy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thrivikram] created the discussion

"Tomcat Monitoring - requires modification"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65126#65126

Hi all,

I am monitoring tomcat using regex ^.*\/*java, and i'm able to monitor it with the path

/usr/bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.26/conf/logging.properties -XHEAPSIZE -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.
juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.26/endorsed -classpath /opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.26/bin/bootstrap.jar:
/opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.26/bin/tomcat-juli.jar -Dcatalina.base=/opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.26 -Dcatalina.home=/opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.26
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.26/temp *org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start*

The problem here it is displaying heap size and versions in message (Total path). I do not want this to be displayed any where in my alert apart form *org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start. (The end of line)* because the versions of tomcat and heapsize may change.

Is there a way to display or monitor the OS process using match case *org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start ?*

I'm not great with regex, but i tried with $ in regex, but it din't worked for me. May be I used a wrong regex.

Please advice if you have a way to do it.

dpetzel
2012-03-12 21:35:05 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Tomcat Monitoring - requires modification"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65133#65133

Can you clarify if you are trying get rid of it in the OSProcess List or in "alerts"? If its the latter you might be able to use an event transform to clean up the event, prior to alert.

If its the former, I'm not sure how to pull that off. You basically have the option to ignore args or not. In your case, since the process is java, you need args to determine its a tomcat process (unless your only java process on the host is tomcat). It would be nice if you do a regex capture and have the backreference be displayed for the process ID, but as far as I know that is not possible, even though it sounds like that is what you want?