Cisco Switch Graphing Issues
Matthew Butt
2012-11-21 14:17:00 UTC
Matthew Butt [http://community.zenoss.org/people/NetwiseHosting] created the discussion

"Cisco Switch Graphing Issues"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70037#70037

Hi there,

I have been using Zenoss for a few months now, which keeps an eye on infrastructure in our data centre for us. It has been working well, all bar one issue which has been perplexing me for some time. A while back, I noticed something a little strange on the graphs for interfaces on our Cisco switches;

On all downlink interfaces (i.e. interfaces facing servers), it appears as though the inbound and outbound traffic data on the graphs is inverted.

I have confirmed this by running a download test on a spare port and monitoring its graph. Despite downloading on the test machine at 20Mbps, the graphs show outbound traffic of 20Mbps, and negligible inbound traffic.

On uplink ports, the order seems fine (i.e. inbound is inbound, outbound is outbound). You can see the same traffic passing through the uplink to the core switches, which displays as desired. Interestingly, on the core switch itself, the other end of the uplink (i.e. the downlink on the core) is also inverted, with inbound showing as outbound and vice versa.

Below you will see a screenshot of the graph for the test interface, during which time I had been downloading files, NOT uploading as the graph suggests.

Below now you will see one of the uplink interfaces to the core, which shows the correct orientation. I realise this also has the collective traffic of all interfaces on the switch, however you can see my test quite clearly.

The links between the core and the edge switches are etherchannels, though this problem existed before these were put in place.

I am struggling to see *A) why this is happening at all, and B) how I can resolve it.*

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as although I know the graphs data points are simply the wrong way round on downlinks, it can make reading them a bit of a challenge, particularly when switching between an uplink interface that graphs correctly, and a downlink that does not.

I think I either need to swap the data points on graphs, but only for certain interfaces on certain devices (is this possible?), or perhaps find another fix?

Thanks, Matt.

Chet Luther
2012-11-21 15:34:50 UTC
Chet Luther [http://community.zenoss.org/people/cluther] created the discussion

"Re: Cisco Switch Graphing Issues"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70039#70039

This looks accurate to me if I understand your setup correctly.

Internet

Uplink Interface

Router

Downlink Interface

LAN

You

If you download, it will result in primarily inbound traffic on the uplink interface and primarily outbound traffic on the downlink interface.

Matthew Butt
2012-11-21 15:43:37 UTC
Matthew Butt [http://community.zenoss.org/people/NetwiseHosting] created the discussion

"Re: Cisco Switch Graphing Issues"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70040#70040

I did wonder if this was the case, as the port is in effect pushing traffic down to the server, which is effectively an upload. It made more sense to me as I wrote down the logic for my original post.

I just assumed it would read out based on the task you were undertaking, rather than how the port itself is handling traffic - which on reflection would be less helpful really.

Thanks for the confirmation.